As the owner of a small business that is always on the go, I know how important it is to have useful tools that make running different parts of my business easier. The majority of the time, I use my mobile devices to stay productive, whether I’m at home, at the office, or on the go.
The hardest part is going to be finding the right apps for my needs. Every day, I use my phone, so it’s important that I get the most out of it. I don’t want to have to switch between apps, move files from one to another, and have trouble getting to them on different devices.
Your time will also be limited, so you will need a wide choice of applications to handle the most important scenarios. It doesn’t matter if we are talking about calendar applications, network applications, or any other free cloud application. The most useful applications for small and medium-sized organizations have been the main focus of this guide. All of them offer crucial functionality and good value for money. Below we have mentioned the best business apps.
What are Business Apps?
Business apps, which is short for “business apps,” are software programs that help a business or organization improve and streamline its operations. These apps help with a wide range of tasks, including but not limited to communication, project management, customer relationship management (CRM), accounting, human resources, inventory management, and data analysis. Business apps are made to help with specific problems and tasks that businesses face, with the goal of making businesses more efficient, productive, and effective as a whole. These apps can be changed to meet the needs of different types and sizes of businesses. Business apps are an important part of modern workplaces because they make it easier for people to work together, make decisions based on data, and streamline processes, all of which help businesses reach their goals.
Why are business apps important?
Business apps, which are also called business software or business applications, are important tools for modern businesses for a few main reasons:
Streamlining Processes: Business apps automate and optimize different business processes. This cuts down on manual work, reduces mistakes, and makes the business more efficient. This lets employees focus on tasks that add more value instead of doing the same administrative work over and over again.
Increasing Productivity: Well-made business apps give employees tools and features that help them do their jobs better. Collaboration, communication, and task management apps, for example, help employees work as a team and stay organized, which leads to more work getting done.
Data Management and Analysis: Business apps gather and store a lot of data about operations, interactions with customers, and other things. Then, these data can be analyzed to learn more, make better decisions, and grow a business.
Customer relationship management (CRM) apps let businesses keep track of and manage how customers interact with them, what they like, and what their history is. This makes it easier to give personalized service, figure out what customers want, and build strong relationships with them.
Accessibility and flexibility: Business apps that run in the cloud let employees access data and do work from anywhere with an internet connection. This flexibility is especially important in the modern work world, where people often work from home or on the go.
Best Business Apps Comparison Table
In the table below, you can see how the best business apps compare to each other. It shows the most important features, prices, compatibility, and user ratings to help choose the best tools for effective communication, project management, finance, and more. Make decisions based on accurate information to improve business operations and boost productivity.
|Apps||Communication||Video Conferencing||Collaboration||Accounting||Document Management||E-Signatures||Official Link|
- Real-time messaging and collaboration platform.
- Organized into channels for different teams, projects, or topics.
- Integrates with various third-party apps for streamlined workflow.
- File sharing and syncing capabilities.
- Direct messaging and group conversations.
There are many things to like about Slack. This top business messaging app lets people skip internal email and talk to coworkers in a shorter, more direct way. As a messaging app, it works both in real time and in the background, making it good for both hybrid and all-remote work environments. Slack is more fun than many other business communication apps, and the fact that you can customize it to a high degree is a huge selling point.
Even though a lot of people love Slack, it does have some problems. It costs more than almost every other team messaging app, and that was true long before the price increase in September 2022. Also, if you use the app with the settings that come with it, it can be a nightmare of too much stimulation. To keep Slack easy to use, you have to make a lot of changes to preferences and settings. Overall, this is one of the best business apps you can download now.
- Efficient communication and collaboration through channels and direct messaging.
- Integrates with various tools and services for seamless workflow.
- Customizable with a range of apps and integrations.
- Great for remote teams and real-time communication.
- Can lead to information overload if not managed well.
- Limited file storage in the free plan.
- Can be distracting if not used judiciously.
- Video conferencing and webinars platform.
- HD video and audio quality for virtual meetings.
- Screen sharing and co-annotation features.
- Recording and transcribing options.
- Breakout rooms for small group discussions.
- Integration with calendars and scheduling tools.
In 2020, it’s hard to say enough about how much Zoom changed the U.S. workforce. Even though many Americans may not have given web conferencing a second thought a year ago, Zoom became a lifesaver for many companies with employees who work from home after forced shutdowns. The brand is a leader in its field and one of our favorite apps for working from home. Read on to find out more about Zoom and why it is a great service for video conferencing.
One of the most used video conferencing systems in the world is Zoom’s Meetings platform. This free software for video conferencing has great audio and video streaming. The service can be used in different ways, starting with the free Basic plan and going up to options with a lot of integrations and ways to store data. Still, this is one of the best business apps you can download now.
- Reliable video conferencing and webinar platform.
- User-friendly interface for hosting and joining meetings.
- Offers features like screen sharing, recording, and virtual backgrounds.
- Integrates with scheduling and calendar tools.
- Security and privacy concerns have been raised in the past.
- Limited functionality in the free version, especially for large meetings.
- Dependency on stable internet connection for smooth video quality.
- Cloud storage through Google Drive.
- Integrated video conferencing with Google Meet.
- Shared calendars and scheduling.
- Accessible from various devices.
- Version history and document tracking.
- Custom domain email addresses.
Google Workspace, which used to be called G Suite, is a powerful and beautiful set of office and collaboration apps that can be used by businesses, schools, and other organizations. It is a paid upgrade to the free Google apps that anyone with a Google account can use, and it is by far the best cloud-based office suite.
Google Workspace is the obvious choice if you are willing to do all of your business online and give up desktop apps. Still, many people will still choose Microsoft 365 because it has similar power and gives them the peace of mind that comes with desktop-based file storage. Overall, this is one of the best business apps you can download now.
- Collaborative suite with tools like Gmail, Docs, Sheets, and Drive.
- Real-time collaboration on documents and files.
- Seamless integration with other Google services.
- Scalable plans suitable for various business sizes.
- Monthly subscription cost for advanced features and storage.
- Some advanced features might have a learning curve for new users.
- Offline functionality might be limited without proper setup.
- Sales pipeline and deal tracking.
- Customer service ticketing and support features.
- Analytics and reporting on customer interactions.
- Integration with various marketing and sales tools.
- Customizable and scalable for businesses of different sizes.
HubSpot is a powerful CRM with a free version that is better than many paid CRMs. HubSpot CRM works for marketing, sales, and customer service teams whether you choose the free or paid version. It’s a great choice for almost any business that wants to improve how they manage their relationships with customers.
This review is based on a lot of research and both good and bad experiences with the software. It will help you decide if it’s right for you. HubSpot is our top choice for a free CRM. Many businesses will find that the free CRM works just fine, especially if they want a better way to manage their relationships with customers. But it’s not perfect and has a few bad things about it. Thus, this is one of the best business apps you can download now.
- All-in-one inbound marketing, sales, and customer service platform.
- Powerful CRM system for managing customer interactions.
- Automation and analytics tools for marketing campaigns.
- Offers a free plan with basic features.
- Complexity and learning curve for advanced features.
- Higher-tier plans can be expensive for smaller businesses.
- Might require integration with other tools for specific needs.
- Payroll processing and tax calculation.
- Bank account and credit card reconciliation.
- Generation of financial reports and statements.
- Integration with other financial software
- Customizable invoicing templates.
- Mobile app for on-the-go access.
Intuit’s QuickBooks Online is a good choice for many businesses, especially those that plan to work with bookkeepers or accountants often. It is the industry standard for accounting software for small businesses. It has a wide range of features that can help both very small businesses and growing businesses that need detailed reporting tools to evaluate different parts of their business.
Even though QuickBooks Online is easy to use, there can be a learning curve, especially if you don’t know much about accounting. Also, QuickBooks can be expensive for many businesses, especially when time tracking or payroll are added. Competitors can offer options that are easier and less expensive. Overall, this is one of the best business apps you can download now.
- Comprehensive accounting and financial management software.
- Suitable for businesses of all sizes, including freelancers and SMBs.
- Offers invoicing, expense tracking, and tax management features.
- Integrates with various banks and financial institutions.
- Cost can add up, especially for more advanced versions.
- Some users find the interface to be overwhelming.
- Customer support quality can be inconsistent.
- Invoicing and expense tracking
- Time tracking and project management
- Financial reporting and tax preparation
This cloud-based accounting software will make invoicing (and more!) quick and easy. With FreshBooks you can create and customize invoices and set up automatic billing. You can also keep track of your business expenses and create a minute-by-minute record of how you spend your time, for a truly enlightening account of your productivity. FreshBooks was designed and built for small business owners, and the cloud-based platform proves it.
You can synchronize and view all your financial data wherever you are, whether from the desktop app or mobile. It is easy to respond to customer feedback, and you can check the current status of payments directly from the mobile app. In addition, you can take pictures of all receipts and add them to your expenses immediately, as well as provide excellent time tracking features.
- User-friendly interface for invoicing and accounting.
- Time tracking and expense management features.
- Good customer support.
- Limited advanced accounting functionalities.
- Can be pricey for larger businesses with more complex needs.
- Online accounting and bookkeeping
- Invoicing and expense management
- Bank reconciliation and financial reporting
Xero’s accounting application helps you manage invoices and expenses, pay employees and manage purchase orders. Data is saved in the cloud, so you can access it from your phone, tablet or laptop; this also means that if one of your devices is lost or stolen, you won’t lose any of your information. Xero’s accounting application helps busy business owners manage expenses quickly and easily, allowing them to see their cash flow in real time.
You can save data in the cloud and access it from mobile devices such as iPhones, iPads or laptops, which means your information stays safe even if something happens to your devices. Having Xero on your mobile devices means you can manage your business accounting transactions from anywhere, and real-time accounting allows you to track cash flow quickly and easily.
- Comprehensive accounting features suitable for small to medium-sized businesses.
- Integrates well with other apps and platforms.
- Scalable as business needs grow.
- Learning curve for new users unfamiliar with accounting software.
- Some advanced features may require additional costs.
- Electronic signature and document management
- Legally binding e-signatures
- Workflow automation and integration
PDFs can be uploaded and emailed to clients, while filling in signatures and time stamps takes only a few minutes. The application also allows you to edit the PDF before sending it and scan documents using the phone’s camera. Users appreciate the simple, elegant design and the way it simplifies business operations.
The HelloSign app allows users to sign documents on the go, wherever they are. The app is available with both free and paid subscription options. Choose your plan and you will have the ability to scan, edit, sign and send documents via your mobile device. HelloSign can also integrate with Gmail, Google Docs, Salesforce and Oracle. With a free download of the app, you receive three free documents per month.
- Streamlines the document signing process.
- Integrates with various apps and platforms.
- User-friendly and legally binding e-signature solution.
- Limited features compared to more comprehensive document management platforms.
- Pricing can be high for larger teams.
- Visual project management with boards and cards
- Task tracking and collaboration
- Customizable workflows and checklists
A visual organization app for personal and professional life. This customizable application will help you create a daily to-do list with interesting whiteboards, lists, index cards, etc. It can be described as an online corkboard. It is also available for free and allows you to work in groups without any restrictions.
Trello is based on the Japanese productivity principle of kanban boards. It allows you to see the progress of all the projects the team is working on. It is a great way to ensure that nothing is lost between the lines. Trello has grown into a real productivity beast. With the free plan, you have unlimited boards, team members and activity logs. That means you can see what everyone is working on, set deadlines, and assign tasks to team members with the click of a button.
- Visual and intuitive project management with boards and cards.
- Suitable for small teams and personal task organization.
- Easy to learn and use.
- May lack advanced features needed for complex project management.
- Limited automation capabilities compared to other tools.
- Point of sale (POS) system for businesses
- Payment processing and mobile payments
- Inventory and sales tracking
Square is a free point-of-sale application that allows people to use their iPhone, iPad or Android mobile device to accept credit and debit card payments from their customers. After downloading the app and signing up for Square’s service, you are mailed a small, square-shaped magnetic card reader that connects directly to your mobile device. This reader allows you to swipe customer cards directly on your phone or tablet and make the transaction on the screen through the Square app.
Customers can pay securely online with a credit or debit card, and you can record the transaction even if they pay with cash or a check. Sending invoices is always free-you pay only 2.9% + 30¢ for each invoice paid online. You can access this free application by selecting Invoices in the main menu of the Square Point of Sale application.
- Simplifies payment processing for businesses.
- Offers point-of-sale solutions and e-commerce features.
- Transparent pricing and no monthly fees.
- Limited scalability for larger businesses with complex needs.
- Transaction fees can add up for high-volume businesses.
- Cloud-based file storage and sharing
- Collaboration on documents and files
- File synchronization across devices
This business application allows users to upload and transfer files to the cloud storage system, so they can access or share them anywhere, anytime. Dropbox keeps all business files (such as documents and images) safe, synchronized and easy to share.
It is an excellent organizational and collaborative tool for teams. It downloads files only when you need to access them, so you don’t use up all your storage space. More than 500 million companies use Dropbox to store and share files for their business.
- Easy file sharing and collaboration.
- Integrates with various third-party apps.
- User-friendly interface.
- Limited advanced features compared to more robust document management platforms.
- Costs can increase as storage needs grow.
- Project and task management
- Team collaboration and communication
- Task assignment, deadlines, and progress tracking
Asana is a versatile project management tool that helps teams stay on track, meet deadlines and achieve goals. It can automate workflows, standardize work requests and visualize projects in real time across multiple teams. You can integrate Asana with e-mail and calendar platforms and use its reporting tools to manage workloads and find ways to become more efficient.
The application allows you to create to-do lists and reminders to always meet deadlines, as well as being able to add due dates, colleagues, instructions to tasks and comment on items. You can also share images from other applications (such as Google Drive) directly to Asana. More importantly, you can keep track of everything you and your colleagues work on in an effort to ensure that the project runs smoothly and on schedule.
- Versatile project management with task tracking and collaboration features.
- Suitable for teams of different sizes and industries.
- Offers various views for project organization.
- Some features may feel overwhelming for simpler projects.
- Learning curve for new users.
- Note-taking and organization
- Note syncing across devices
- Web clipping and document storage
- Collaboration and sharing capabilities
The Evernote app is your companion in organizing notes and planning daily work activities. You can synchronize these notes and plans across all devices and access them anytime. It is one of the most popular organization apps among business professionals. In this app you can enter handwritten, typed or scanned notes, photos, audio or even links to web pages.
Data is automatically synchronized across both devices, mobile and desktop, for quick and easy access. Evernote’s business application also makes it easy to store other media content, allowing users to quickly scan or crop web articles and images. Users appreciate that they can access or work on their mobile devices even when they are not online.
- Efficient note-taking and organization across devices.
- Integrates with other apps and platforms.
- Good for personal and professional use.
- Advanced features are locked behind premium tiers.
- Not as suitable for complex project management compared to dedicated tools.
How to choose the best business apps for your needs?
To choose the best business apps for your needs, you need to think carefully about your specific needs, your budget, and the features the apps offer. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you make the right decision:
Define Your Needs and Goals: Write down exactly what tasks or processes you want the business apps to help you with. Using these apps, you can find your pain points, places to improve, and specific goals you want to reach. This will make it clear to you what features are most important.
Do some research. Look for apps that meet the needs you’ve figured out. You can make a list of possible apps to look into by using search engines, app marketplaces, reviews, and suggestions from people in your field.
Features and Functions: Compare each app’s features to the needs you’ve already set. Focus on the most important parts and don’t get too distracted by flashy extras you might not use. Also think about scalability: will the app be able to grow with your business?
User Experience and Interface: It’s important to have an interface that is easy for you and your team to use. Look for apps that have a well-designed interface that is easy to use and fits with how you work.
Integration: Check to see if the apps can be used with the tools you already have. Seamless integration can save you time and cut down on the need to enter data by hand.
ProofHub is an app for managing employees that lets business owners check on their projects from anywhere. It’s a place where you and your team can work on all of your projects. Managers can give out tasks from afar.
Small business apps that are free can help you and your employees get more done without breaking the bank. You can send messages, organize your schedule, manage projects, pay bills, and do other things with small business apps.