When looking at eCommerce solutions, it’s important to look at all of the choices, such as the best headless ecommerce platforms. A headless ecommerce CMS (content management system) gives developers the freedom to build and manage content for their online stores on their own. This is different from traditional CMS solutions that include everything you need in one package. The separation of frontend (the user interface) and backend (content management and storage) development in a headless CMS gives it more freedom and scalability than standard monolith platforms, where these parts work closely together.
To change how the front end looks, devs have to change the code in the database. On the other hand, a headless ecommerce platform lets you manage a website using APIs first, so you can connect with it through a browser instead of a desktop app. Online retailers are using headless ecommerce more and more because it gives them more freedom and options when building an online shop. Open-source headless ecommerce platforms are especially appealing because they offer businesses a cheap and flexible way to take advantage of the trend. gives a list of the best headless CMS platforms, and looks at how headless CMS and ecommerce platforms can work together.
What is headless ecommerce?
Headless ecommerce is a method in which the front-end (the “head”) and back-end (the “body”) of an ecommerce system are separated. This gives the user interface (UI) and user experience (UX) of an online store more room for freedom and customization. In traditional ecommerce, the front-end and back-end are closely connected, which means that changes to the user interface often require changes to the ecommerce platform itself.
Benefits of using a headless ecommerce platform
🔀 Flexibility and Customization: Headless ecommerce systems separate the frontend from the backend, so you can choose the technology stack and tools that work best for your business. This gives you the freedom to give your customers a very personalized and unique shopping experience.
🚀 Improved Performance: With headless design, you can optimize the frontend and backend separately. This can lead to faster loading times, better site speed, and a smoother user experience, which can reduce the number of people who leave your site and increase the number of people who buy from you.
🌐 Multi-Channel Commerce: Headless platforms make it easier to give uniform brand experiences across different channels, like websites, mobile apps, social media, and even IoT devices. This gives you the freedom to reach people no matter where they are.
📈 Scalability: Headless systems are usually made to be easy to expand in order to handle more traffic and more products. You can add new features or connections without changing the whole system. This makes it good for businesses whose needs change over time.
Best Headless Ecommerce Platforms Comparison Table
By separating the frontend and core systems, headless ecommerce platforms are changing the way people shop online. This separation gives businesses more freedom and allows them to give customers smooth, personalized experiences across all devices and channels. With headless design, developers can easily add new technologies and APIs, allowing them to keep up with the constantly changing digital market.
|Feature||Shopify||BigCommerce||Elastic Path||Salesforce Commerce Cloud||OroCommerce|
|Themes||Extensive Theme Store||Theme Marketplace||Custom Themes||Extensive Theme Library||Theme Marketplace|
|App Ecosystem||Large App Store||App Marketplace||Limited||AppExchange||Limited|
|Payment Processing||Integrated Payment Gateway||Multiple Payment Options||Customizable||Integrated Payment Gateway||Integrated Payment Gateway|
|SEO Tools||Built-in SEO Features||SEO Features||SEO-Friendly||SEO Capabilities||SEO Features|
|B2B Features||Limited||B2B Features||Customizable||B2B Commerce Module||Comprehensive B2B Features|
- User-Friendly Interface
- Extensive App Store
- Mobile Responsive Design
- Payment Processing
- Inventory Management
In the world of eCommerce, Shopify is a very well-known name. It’s a safe and stable platform with a huge app shop. Shopify was a normal eCommerce platform for a long time. But its GraphQL API quickly made it work with headless commerce through Shopify Plus. This brought it into the modern age and kept it as one of the most important and trusted platforms in the world. For now, this is one of the best Headless Ecommerce Platforms you can consider now.
- A wide range of apps and themes available in the Shopify App Store.
- Reliable hosting and security features.
- Excellent customer support.
- Scalable for businesses of all sizes.
- Transaction fees for using external payment gateways.
- Limited customization options for advanced users.
- Monthly subscription costs can add up.
- Multi-Channel Selling
- Built-in SEO Features
- Customization Options
- Payment Gateway Integration
BigCommerce is an e-commerce tool that lets businesses set up digital storefronts that are unique to them. It gives users strong tools for keeping track of customers, orders, product catalogs, and promotions. The drag-and-drop editor makes it easy for people to change the look of their ecommerce stores. Overall, this is one of the best Headless Ecommerce Platforms you can consider now.
- Robust and scalable platform suitable for larger businesses.
- Extensive built-in features, reducing the need for third-party apps.
- Customization options with API access for developers.
- No transaction fees on external payment gateways.
- Strong SEO capabilities.
- Steeper learning curve compared to some other platforms.
- Higher pricing tiers for advanced features.
- Limited built-in blogging capabilities.
- Headless Commerce Capabilities
- API-First Approach
- Flexible Product Catalog
- Extensive Integration Options
Elastic Path is one of the best open-source software packages for enterprise-size businesses that focuses on commerce solutions. Its headless eCommerce platform is a full, ready-to-launch solution that is meant to make going headless easier. The best features of a traditional eCommerce platform are mixed with the flexibility of a headless architecture to give your store the best of both worlds. Still, this is one of the best Headless Ecommerce Platforms you can consider now.
- Highly customizable and flexible for enterprise-level businesses.
- API-first approach for seamless integration with other systems.
- Supports headless commerce for omnichannel experiences.
- Strong personalization and customer experience features.
- Scalable for large and complex e-commerce operations.
- Complex setup and maintenance, requiring a skilled development team.
- Higher initial costs and ongoing expenses.
- Not ideal for small businesses or startups due to complexity.
Salesforce Commerce Cloud
- Enterprise-Level Features
- Customer Data Management
- AI-Powered Commerce Insights
- Multi-Channel Marketing
- Cloud-Based Hosting
The Salesforce suite of products includes Salesforce Commerce Cloud. It adds an agile commerce tool on top of Salesforce CRM, which makes it easy to connect with other products in the suite. With Salesforce Commerce, you can use API-first commerce to improve your customers’ shopping experiences. Thus, this is one of the best Headless Ecommerce Platforms you can consider now.
- Robust marketing and analytics tools.
- Scalable for enterprise-level businesses.
- Strong internationalization and localization features.
- Cloud-based for easy maintenance and updates.
- Expensive, with significant upfront and ongoing costs.
- Requires specialized expertise for implementation and customization.
- May not be suitable for small or mid-sized businesses.
- B2B Focused Features
- Role-Based Access Control
- Custom Pricing and Quoting
- Catalog Management
- CRM Integration
Oro Inc.’s OroCommerce is a well-known online selling tool for business-to-business sales. The platform offers a powerful headless commerce solution that takes the API method. The Open API makes it easy to connect the platform to any third-party tool or service, which makes it possible to create amazing experiences. Overall, this is one of the best Headless Ecommerce Platforms you can consider now.
- Designed specifically for B2B e-commerce.
- Customizable and adaptable to complex B2B workflows.
- Integration-friendly with REST API support.
- Open-source, which can be cost-effective.
- Limited popularity and fewer available extensions compared to major platforms.
- Smaller user community for support and resources.
- May require more development effort for specific customizations.
How to choose the right headless ecommerce platform
🚀 Scalability: Choose an e-commerce platform without a front end that can grow as your business does, so it can handle more traffic and sales.
🔌 API Flexibility: Look for a platform with strong and flexible APIs so that you can easily connect it to services and apps from other companies.
💨 Performance and Speed: Give priority to platforms that load quickly and work well to improve the user experience.
🎨 Customization: Choose a platform that lets you make a lot of changes to the customer journey, the style, and the way it works so that it fits your needs.
👩💻 Developer-Friendly: Choose a platform that gives developers all the tools and help they need to make maintenance and changes easy.
It is a popular choice for ecommerce sites because it makes building and running online stores easy and flexible.
The stack for headless shopping on Shopify is called Hydrogen. It gives you a set of tools, utilities, and best-in-class examples that you can use to build dynamic and fast business apps.