Any mobile photographer who is even a little bit serious will eventually want to know what the best photography apps for their phone are. Camera phones are here to stay, whether you like them or not. Smartphones can do so much more than just take pretty good pictures these days. More than that, I’m talking about how a smartphone can put powerful tools for taking photos right in the palm of our hands. As a photographer, we can use an app to help us with anything we need to figure out, visualize, or organize.
In 2023, camera phones are just amazing. With the help of computational photography, high-resolution images have continued to close the gap between phones and system cameras. Modern phones have a lot of processing power, which photography apps use to do some really cool things.
It is worth installing one of the best image apps listed below to help you take, edit, and even share your photos if you want to get the most out of your phone’s camera. Also, it would be useful to have one of the best iPhone or camera phones for photography. Every semi-serious photographer will want to know what the best smartphone photography apps are.
Camera phones are here to stay, love them or hate them. Nowadays, cell phones are capable of doing much more than just taking great photos. More specifically, we are referring to the photographic tools that a smartphone can put in our hands. An application can help calculate, visualize, or organize whatever a photographer needs. Below is the list of the nine best photography software that you can easily get. below we have mentioned the Photography Apps.
Best Photography Apps
- Professional editing tools
- Healing brush
- Customizable filters
- RAW editing support
This is a powerful addition for editing, but without a steep learning curve. Within the app, you can adjust elements such as exposure, contrast, and white balance, as well as explore HDR effects, film emulators, and even blemish correction. What puts Snapseed in a category of its own, however, is its precision masking tool. Perfect for photographers who want to blur backgrounds and give depth to their images, this control will surely transform your shots for the better.
The interface is intuitive and easy to understand. You can find the tool you want without getting lost in a maze of menus. And there are many editing tools to choose from. It is not necessary to have a fancy camera app to accompany this editor, as Snapseed works well with the native camera app. In the editing process you can change the white balance, brightness, and exposure. Easily one of the best photography apps available right now.
- Powerful editing tools with precise controls for fine-tuning images.
- Wide range of filters and effects to enhance your photos.
- Non-destructive editing allows you to revert changes and maintain the original quality.
- User-friendly interface with a variety of editing options.
- Lacks some advanced features found in other professional editing apps.
- Limited text and graphic overlay options.
- No built-in social media integration.
- Occasional lag or slow performance on older devices.
- Film-inspired filters
- Advanced editing tools
- Creative community
- Built-in camera
There are many mobile editing tools out there, but VSCO may be one of the most popular because of the large number of filters it has, the simplicity of its user interface, and the fact that it can also be used as a sharing tool. You can use VSCO’s free filters or purchase others for an inexpensive price. VSCO allows you to adjust elements such as exposure, contrast, and white balance within the app. With many different filter options to choose from, this app has something for everyone who likes to edit their phone.
As a photo editing app, VSCO offers two methods: applying presets or using manual adjustment tools. VSCO has a total of 10 presets that allow you to adjust photos quickly and easily. It is also possible to edit photos to look like “old film,” which includes changing color and exposure. Editing tools include the ability to add contrast, grain, saturation and more. The photo enhancer can adjust the intensity of filters in photos. The paid version offers more than 130 filters.
- High-quality filters and presets to give your photos a unique aesthetic.
- Advanced editing tools for fine adjustments, including exposure, temperature, and saturation.
- Wide range of creative options for photo customization.
- In-app community to share your work and discover other photographers.
- Some features and filters require a paid subscription.
- Limited editing capabilities compared to professional-grade software.
- Clunky user interface and navigation at times.
- Slow rendering and exporting of high-resolution images.
- Photo resizing and cropping
- Filters and editing tools
- Collage maker
- Text and sticker overlays
Instasize is the photo editing best friend you never knew you needed. With so many features combined in one app, it is no surprise that Instasize has been called the “all-in-one” photo editing app. Available for both IOS and Android, this photo editing app comes with an extensive library of filters, resizing options, photo border/frame packs, retouching tools, a text editor, video editing capabilities, and more. Grid Scheduler, for blending edited images before uploading them to Instagram and scheduling the feed.
Instasize is a feature-rich toolkit for creatives who want to edit their photos in a myriad of ways. Great for editing specifically for different social media formats, this app offers all the editing features you would expect, including a vast number of filters (over 130) and adjustments including contrast, exposure, saturation, and clarity.
- Easily resize and crop photos for different social media platforms.
- Built-in filters and effects for quick enhancements.
- Basic editing tools such as brightness, contrast, and saturation adjustments.
- Collage and layout features for creating photo grids
- Limited advanced editing options compared to other apps.
- Occasional crashes or stability issues.
- Watermark on photos unless you upgrade to the paid version.
- Not as feature-rich or versatile as some other photography apps.
Adobe Lightroom Mobile
- RAW editing capabilities
- Sync across devices
- Non-destructive editing
- Advanced presets and profiles
Lightroom is probably the most popular editing software around, and the mobile app is a powerful tool for photographers who like to edit photos in the field. While the other editing apps are useful for making changes to JPEG files, Lightroom Mobile offers a leg up with editing raw files. Keep in mind that raw files are much larger than JPEGs, so they take longer to transfer from the camera and take up more space on the phone, but for photographers who like to edit raw files on the go, this app is invaluable.
When you need (yes, need) the features and editing tools of Adobe Lightroom but are not in front of a computer, Lightroom Mobile is for you. We love being able to edit our photos from mobile with the same love and precision as photos taken with a camera. Also, the ability to shoot in RAW with Lightroom’s camera is really great. So, if you want one of the best photography apps we recommend this one.
- Robust editing tools and presets similar to the desktop version of Lightroom.
- Seamless integration with Adobe Creative Cloud for syncing edits across devices.
- Non-destructive editing and ability to work with RAW files.
- Powerful features like selective adjustments and lens correction.
- Some advanced features require a Creative Cloud subscription.
- Steeper learning curve for beginners due to the app’s complexity.
- Limited options for adding text or graphics to photos.
- Can be resource-intensive, causing slower performance on older devices.
- Extensive editing tools
- Filters and effects
- Texture and dust overlays
- Double exposure
Afterlight 2 is an image editor that features a large collection of natural filters, and the editing tools are designed with simplicity in mind. These editing tools allow full control of the editing process. Afterlight 2 also allows photos to be imported in RAW format, and export can also be done in HEIC format. The user can create filters using the Fusion function and save them to give consistency to editing if needed.
There is an excellent range of presets for quick editing. Smartphone photographers new to editing will be delighted. But the manual tools are Afterlight’s strong point. In addition to cropping and rotation tools, there are 15 adjustment tools and 66 textures to apply to photos. These tools offer precise control over the editing process.
- User-friendly interface with intuitive editing tools.
- Wide range of filters, textures, and overlays to enhance photos.
- Advanced editing features, such as curves and selective color adjustments, for precise control over image adjustments.
- Integration with social media platforms for easy sharing of edited photos.
- Limited free version, with additional features requiring in-app purchases.
- Some users may find the app’s editing tools less extensive compared to other advanced editing apps.
- Occasional performance issues, such as slow rendering or crashes, reported by some users.
- May not offer as many artistic or creative effects as other apps like Prisma.
- Artistic filters
- Neural network technology
- Real-time editing
- Social sharing
Prisma is a unique photo editing app. Unlike most of the other apps on this list, which are mainly for retouching and editing, Prisma completely transforms photographs and turns them into paintings. Prisma’s filters can create unique effects and extremely realistic paintings.
It can turn photos into masterpieces in the style of famous artists such as Van Gogh, Munch, Mondrian and Picasso. It uses an artificial intelligence technique called style transfer to perform its artistic magic and is no longer limited to still images, but also works on videos. This app also releases new filters every day to keep the app fresh and up-to-date.
- Unique artistic filters that transform photos into various art styles, such as paintings or drawings.
- Wide selection of filters and effects to choose from, allowing for creative and visually stunning results.
- Easy-to-use interface with real-time preview of filters, enabling quick adjustments.
- Option to adjust the intensity of filters, giving users more control over the final look.
- Limited manual editing options compared to other photography apps.
- Some users may find the app’s processing time for applying filters to be slower.
- Watermark appears on the edited photos unless the premium version is purchased.
- The app may require an internet connection to process the images, limiting usage in offline environments.
- Optical effects
- Easy blending
- Customizable adjustments
- High-quality elements
Create more dramatic photos with artistic effects such as lens flare and rings of light. Or, change the entire atmosphere of your scene by adding rain, snow or fog. As the name suggests, Superimpose X is one of the best photo editing apps used mainly for superimposing photos.
The app has some powerful features such as layer editing, blending modes, masking adjustments, etc. The editing app is suitable for both amateurs and professionals. A working user can switch to other projects in between without losing data. Another feature you look for is background removal, and this app does it perfectly.
- Offers a wide range of high-quality, realistic overlays and effects to add lens flares, light leaks, and atmospheric elements to photos.
- Intuitive interface with easy-to-use controls for blending overlays seamlessly.
- The app provides customization options to adjust the intensity, color, and position of overlays.
- Regular updates with new overlays and effects, expanding creative possibilities.
- The app focuses primarily on overlays and effects, lacking comprehensive editing tools for other aspects of photo enhancement.
- Some users may find the available overlays limited, especially when compared to other similar apps.
- Full access to all overlays and effects requires a subscription or in-app purchases.
- May not suit users looking for more traditional editing features like color adjustments or retouching tools.
- Advanced retouching tools
- Portrait enhancement features
- Filters and effects
When it comes to retouching photos on your mobile device, Facetune is one of the best options available. This application allows you to remove blemishes, whiten teeth, reshape faces and correct red eyes directly on your phone. For a mobile option, it is incredibly powerful. The learning curve is rather steep, as you might expect from such a powerful application, but learning how to use it is worth it. This app is useful for photos taken with the phone but also for photos transferred to the phone via wireless devices.
- Facetune offers an intuitive interface
- The app provides a wide range of tools for retouching and enhancing portraits
- Facetune allows users to add artistic effects and filters to their photos
- The app’s extensive retouching features may lead users to over-edit their photos,
- Some advanced editing tools and filters require a paid subscription
- Facetune’s presets and effects, while visually appealing, may not provide enough customization options for users
- Texture overlays
- Customizable editing tools
- Presets and formulas
Mexture is an iPhone photo editing application suitable for adding gradients, textures, light leaks, dust and grains. This photo editor allows you to create an unlimited number of layers that can be blended later. These layers can also be individually edited for texture, blend mode or rotation. With 12 blending modes, the possibilities for creating something creative are numerous.
Mextures offers more than 150 textures, such as “light analog leeks” and “dusty vintage film scans,” with adjustable opacity and a variety of blending modes. In addition, you can stack an unlimited number of layers to create exactly what you want. The editing tools are excellent, allowing you to change white balance and contrast with just a few clicks.
- Mextures offers a vast collection of high-quality textures, overlays, and light leaks
- The app enables users to stack multiple textures and adjustments, providing a non-destructive editing workflow and greater control over the final image.
- The app fosters a vibrant community
- Limited functionality for non-textured edits
- Some textures and overlays may require an additional purchase
- On older or less powerful devices, Mextures may experience slower performance or occasional lags