Do you want to How to Change Image Thumbnail Size in Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer? A thumbnail is a small graphic that shows what a large photo or video looks like. When you look through your photos on a computer, the thumbnail helps you find the picture you want. Users might want to change the size of thumbnails for a number of reasons.
For example, larger thumbnails can help users see more of the details in an image, which makes it easier to find files without opening them. No matter why, changing the size of Windows thumbnails can make it much easier to look through files. You don’t have to look for photos by hand or open them all one by one until you find the one you want. The thumbnail of a large image can be used to see what it looks like before you open it.
How to Change Image Thumbnail Size in Windows 11/10
Windows 10 Menu Options
- Launch the File Manager on your Computer.
- Select the View tab from the top ribbon.
- Expand the ribbon by pressing Ctrl + F1.
- Select the desired icon size among Large icons/Extra large icons/medium icons.
Using the File Explorer
- Press the Win key to open the Start Menu.
- In the search bar, type File Explorer and press Enter. Alternatively, you can press the Win + E hotkey to launch the File Explorer.
- Head towards the target image folder.
- Click the View option at the top and choose the image thumbnail size from the context menu. Windows offers four thumbnail sizes – extra large, large, medium, and small. You can choose either of the thumbnail sizes as per your preference.
Using Registry Editor
- Press Windows + R to open the run prompt.
- Type Regedit on the prompt and hit Enter
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Explorer.
- Go to the right pane and look for Thumbnail size in the list. You can include a new one if you can’t find it.
- Right-click on the Explorer menu and select New – DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Rename the DWORD value to ThumbnailSize.
- Double click on the registry file you just created, then change the value to a random number between 32 and 256.
The icon for regular folders is changed via the folder’s properties window. Right-click the folder and select Properties. Go into the Customize tab at the top of the window, and then choose Change Icon from the bottom.
thumbnail resizes to the largest size that (a) preserves the aspect ratio, (b) does not exceed the original image, and (c) does not exceed the size specified in the arguments of thumbnail . Furthermore, calling thumbnail resizes it in place, whereas resize returns the resized image.
The image format for a thumbnail can be either JPEG, PNG, GIF or WEBP. JPEG is used most often because it’s smaller in file size than other image formats; however, exact pixel dimensions can vary.