How to Connect Apple Watch with Peloton: Apple Watch users can now make it even easier to close their rings and check their heart rate during a Peloton class. Peloton’s Apple Watch integration used to only work with the Bike+, but now it works with the original Bike, the Bike+, the Guide, and the Tread. Read on to learn how to use your Apple Watch on your Peloton to track your heart rate.
Unlike a traditional heart rate monitor, which might require you to connect via Bluetooth, you can connect your Apple Watch to your Bike+ by waving it in front of the camera or clicking “connect” on your watch once you start an activity.
Then, your watch will record the workout on your wrist, adding to the progress of your ring, and the Peloton will use your heart rate to figure out your strive score, which is a number that shows how long you spend in each heart rate zone.
How to Connect Apple Watch with Peloton
- Download and install the Peloton app on your iPhone from the App Store.
- Download and install the Peloton app on your Apple Watch using the Watch app. When prompted, enable the Fitness, Motion, and location services options for the app.
- Within the Peloton for iOS app on your iPhone, tap More > Apple Watch > Set Up > Connect to Health App.
- Within the Health app that opens on your phone, tap the Turn On All button. This will authorize the app to access your personal health information.
- Open the Peloton app and tap Done.
- Open the Peloton app on your Apple Watch and when prompted, tap Allow to receive notifications from Peloton.
What can you do with Peloton on the Apple Watch?
You can also use the Apple Watch to keep track of your live workout metrics. This includes your pace, distance, calories, and heart rate. Of course, the benefit of using the Apple Watch with Peloton equipment is closing out your activity rings, too.
Bear in mind that some features aren’t yet supported. For now, the Apple Watch Peloton app remains a companion app. This means you won’t be able to view GPS data, the leaderboard, or follow friends on Now leaderboard from the Apple Watch app.
How to Sync Peloton and Apple Watch
- Ensure compatibility: Make sure you have a Peloton Bike or Tread, an active Peloton membership, and an Apple Watch Series 3 or later.
- Connect Peloton to Health: Open the Peloton app on your iPhone or iPad. Tap on the “More” tab at the bottom right corner of the screen, then select “Settings.” Scroll down and tap on “Health & Wellness.” Toggle on the option for “Connect to Health.”
- Enable Health access: You will be prompted to grant permission to Peloton to access your health data. Tap on “Turn All Categories On” to authorize access to all health and workout data tracked by the Apple Health app.
- Start a workout: On your Peloton Bike or Tread, start a workout session as you normally would. Ensure your Apple Watch is on your wrist and unlocked.
- Choose your metrics: During your Peloton workout, you will have the option to select which metrics you want to display on your Apple Watch. These may include heart rate, distance, calories burned, and duration. Use the digital crown on your Apple Watch to navigate and select the desired metrics.
Force restart your watch by pressing and holding both side buttons simultaneously as well as the Digital Crown for at least 10 seconds. When you see the Apple logo appear on the screen, you can release the side buttons. After the watch boots back up, see if you can pair it with the Peloton Bike.
If it seems like the pairing process has stalled — for example, the pairing animation remains on the screen for several minutes — resetting your Apple Watch might help: Press and hold the Digital Crown while your Apple Watch is in pairing mode. Tap Reset when it appears on your watch.