Passwords are quickly becoming less useful because of all the data breaches and hacks that have happened recently. Here you are in the digital world, where biometrics and multi-factor authentication (MFA) are the most important things. If you want to Create an Internet Identity Account. The Identity Management Institute says that one of the main issues with basic authentication is that passwords can be stolen or guessed. Without a doubt, a real pain for people who work in security.
These days, being online is an important part of our daily lives. There are many ways that we are always online, such as through social media, online shopping, and online banking. Hackers are always on the lookout in the world we live in. And now more than ever, it’s important to have a strong (safe) identity. The sad truth is that the current crop of identity management tools is not at all safe.
What is Internet Identity?
Dfinity lets users make “anchors” for their identities that they can then connect to compatible cryptographically enabled devices. These could be a laptop’s fingerprint sensor, a phone’s face ID system, or a portable HSM like a YubiKey or Ledger wallet. After that, they can use any of the devices they’ve linked to their anchor to sign up and log in to any dapp running on the Internet. This makes things very easy for users because they can easily log in to the dapps they want to use.
They also get the highest level of cryptographic security without having to manage or handle their own cryptographic key material, which keeps them from making mistakes or having their key material stolen. For dapps and whenever an anchor is used to talk to a dapp, the system hides the user.
How to Create an Internet Identity account
- Internet Identity dapp is https://identity.ic0.app/
- Press “Create Internet Identity.”
- Press “Make Passkey“.
- Pick your preferred authentication method from the list.
- You can use your fingerprint, YubiKey, or device passcode.
- Use a recovery phrase by clicking “Enable” next to it. Next, click Create Recovery Phrase to create a multi-word seed phrase. Save your recovery phrase.
- Check the box and click Continue after saving your recovery phrase.
- Fill in this page’s Internet Identity number words with your information to prove you know your recovery phrase.
- Reconfirm your identity with your fingerprint, Face ID, or PIN.
Importance of Having an Internet Identity Account
- To get known and have a presence online. With an Internet identity account, you can make a name for yourself and be seen online. People can use their Internet identity account to make a website or blog and share their ideas and thoughts with other people.
- To share information and get in touch with other people. You can share information and connect with other people through an Internet identity account. People can use their internet identity account to do things like join online communities and forums or connect with family and friends on social media sites.
- To be a part of online forums and communities. People who want to join a lot of online communities and forums need to create an account first. You can use an Internet Identity Account to make these accounts and keep track of them.
- To do business online and do other financial transactions. You can use an internet identity account to buy things online and do other financial transactions. People can use their internet identity account to do things like buy things and services online or send money to other people.
- To keep your online safety and privacy safe. To keep your privacy and safety online, you can use an internet identity account. People can use their Internet Identity account to do things like make strong passwords and turn on two-factor authentication.
Internet Identity Account Security Tips
- Keep your software up to date. Internet Identity software is regularly updated with security fixes. It is important to keep your software up to date to protect your account from known vulnerabilities.
- Be careful about clicking on links or downloading files from unknown sources. Phishing attacks are one of the most common ways for attackers to steal Internet Identity accounts. Be careful about clicking on links or downloading files from unknown sources, especially if they are related to Internet Identity.
- Never share your passkey or recovery phrase with anyone. Your passkey and recovery phrase are the keys to your Internet Identity account. Never share them with anyone, even people you trust.
Internet Identity is a Web3 service that replaces passwords with one-time passkeys that are made by a chip in modern devices. This makes sure that authentication is safe. It has benefits like keeping your data safe, keeping your identity safe, and letting you make multiple online identities.
In the event that a user loses access to their authorized devices, they can use a unique security key to get back to an Identity Anchor. This key can’t be the same as the one the user used to log in to Internet Identity with the given Identity Anchor.
Everything we put on the Internet makes up our online identity. We leave behind information about ourselves online, like our email address, date of birth, bank information, and even the things we buy online. Our online identity is more than just what we do online. It also makes sure we are who we say we are.