This guide is about the How to Create a New Partition in macOS. I will try my best so that you understand this guide very well. I hope you all like this guide How to Create a New Partition in macOS.
Want to create a new partition on your Mac hard drive? Then read on!
As the capacity of both internal and external storage solutions continues to grow, there may be a time when you want an easy way to divide them into multiple partitions. All the partitions you create appear as different drives on your Mac, both on your desktop and in the Finder. Although it is the same physical device as other partitions on the same drive, macOS and your applications treat it separately.
Partitioning can be really useful if you need to keep data away from other files. Maybe it’s your backup data that you don’t want anyone to touch, or the place where all your media lives. Or you may want to dual-boot multiple operating systems from the same drive. Whatever the reason for creating a new partition, macOS makes it easy with Disk Utility. It’s free and comes pre-installed on all Macs. You may not know it, but you already have it.
Creating a new partition may sound scary, but it’s very easy. All you need to know is the application you want to use – Disk Utility – and what buttons to press.
How to add a new partition to MacOS
Make sure all the drives you want to partition are connected to your Mac, and then follow these steps to create a new glossy partition.
It’s a good idea to back up your Mac before editing partitions on your disk in case of accidental data loss.
- Open Disk Utility. It’s in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on your Mac.
- Both external and internal volumes are available and are listed under their headings. Click the section you want to share.
- Click the “partition” icon and then “partition”.
- Click the “+” button. If the volume you selected isn’t available, it can’t be split – probably because it’s protected or full
- Give the new partition a name. The maximum disk name length is 11 characters if you are creating an MS-DOS (FAT) or ExFAT volume.
- Select a format for the new partition. If you are not sure which one to choose, select APFS.
- Enter the size you want the new partition to be. You can also use the image on the left and resize the section by dragging it.
- Finally, click “Apply”. The partition is created. Click Done when done.
Once you’ve created a new disc, it will appear on your desktop and in the Finder.
Open the partition to add or copy files, create files, save data, or anything else you could do on another physical drive.
In addition to making partitions, Disk Utility can be useful for all kinds of things. Whether you’re formatting the drive to be compatible with Mac or Windows (or even compatibility with both Mac and PC), creating a new partition to install a new version of MacOS, or just want a place to see all the floppy disks and disks connected to your Mac, Disk Utility can really be convenient when needed.
You can also delete a partition if you decide you no longer need it either. Keep in mind, however, that this will delete all data from that section. Make sure you have enough backups before doing so.
Were you able to create a partition for Mac with Disk Utility? Do you use another method to achieve the same results? Tell us about your experience in the comments.
Benefits: How to Create a New Partition in macOS
- The How to Create a New Partition in macOS guide is free to read.
- We help many internet users follow up with interest in a convenient manner.
- The price of the How to Create a New Partition in macOS guide is free.
FAQ: How to Create a New Partition in macOS
In this guide, I told you about the How to Create a New Partition in macOS.
In this guide, I discuss about the How to Create a New Partition in macOS, which is very helpful.
Apple Devices only.
mac OS or iOS
Final note: How to Create a New Partition in macOS
If you have any queries regards the How to Create a New Partition in macOS, then please ask us through the comment section below or directly contact us.
Education: This guide or tutorial is just for educational purposes.
Misinformation: If you want to correct any misinformation about the guide “How to Create a New Partition in macOS”, then kindly contact us.
Want to add an alternate method: If anyone wants to add more methods to the guide How to Create a New Partition in macOS, then kindly contact us.
Our Contact: Kindly use our contact page regards any help.