Windows 10 has an extra security feature called How to Enable Camera and Microphone in Application Guard for Edge. When it is turned on, it puts Windows 10’s built-in web browser, Microsoft Edge, in a sandbox. With Windows 10 Build 18277, you can use Application Guard for Microsoft Edge to control who can use your camera and microphone while you’re browsing.
The Hyper-V virtualization technology is used by Windows Defender Application Guard to protect against targeted threats. It puts a special virtual layer between the browser and the operating system. This keeps web apps and the browser from being able to access the real data on the hard drive and in memory.
Enable Camera and Microphone in Application Guard for Edge Through the Settings app
- Type “Windows Security” into the search box on the Taskbar, and when the result comes up, click “Open” or press “Enter.”
- Click on “App & browser control” in the next window.
- In the Isolated Browsing field, you will see a toggle switch for the Change Application Guard settings option. Just click it.
- Go to the section on the camera and microphone. By default, this option is off. To Enable or Disable Camera and Mic in Application Guard for Edge, switch the toggle.
- If you get a UAC prompt, click Yes to agree.
- Last, you have to restart Windows 10 for the changes to show up.
Enable Camera and Microphone in Application Guard for Edge Using Registry Editor
- Search for regedit in the Windows search bar and click on the result to open the registry editor. To find out more, see how to open the registry.
- When the UAC prompt appears, click Yes to confirm.
- In the Registry Editor window, go to the following location:Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Hvsi
- If you don’t see the Hvsi key there, you need to create it first. In order to do this, right-click on the Microsoft folder and select New > Key.
- Name the file Hvsi, then hit Enter to save it.
- Right-click on Hvsi, choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, then name it EnableCameraMicrophoneRedirection.
- Now double-click on the newly created DWORD key, and you will see a pop-up window appear.
- Be sure the Hexadecimal base is selected, and set the Value data to 1.
- Then click OK to save the changes.
What is Microsoft Defender Application Guard
Microsoft Defender Application Guard is a security feature in Windows 11 and Windows 10 that helps stop both old and new cyberattacks. This program can be used with Microsoft Office, the old version of Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge.
In other words, any URL that isn’t on the separate environment. So, if someone tries to break into your session and then try to get into your computer or network, they won’t be able to. This is because the online session would be in a mode where it would work on its own.
Open the Control Panel, select Programs, and then select Turn Windows features on or off. Select the check box next to Microsoft Defender Application Guard and then select OK to install Application Guard and its underlying dependencies.
In Microsoft Edge, select Settings and more and then select Settings. Select Cookies and Site Permissions on the left side, and then under Site Permissions, select Camera or Microphone.
On Chrome or Microsoft Edge: Open the menu (the three dots ⋮) in the top, right-hand corner of your browser. Select Settings > Privacy & Security > Site Settings. Ensure that your Camera and Microphone both have Ask before accessing set to ON.