How to Fix ‘Error Code 0xc0000142’ on Windows 11/10 happens when people try to run some Windows programs. People who have this problem usually see an error message that says, “The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).” If that happens, the affected program won’t start.
Error 0xc0000142 is a generic code that could happen with many Windows programs. But many users say that it usually comes from games and programs from Microsoft Office. you can visit Microsoft support center for further help.
Fixed ‘Error Code 0xc0000142’ on Windows 11/10
Install fresh updates
- Click on the Start button at the bottom of your desktop and choose Settings.
- Then, navigate to Windows Update and click Check for Updates.
- If updates have already been found, simply Download and install them.
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable
- Open Control Panel by accessing Start, searching for Control Panel, and selecting the app in the search results.
- Select Uninstall a program in the Control Panel.
- Choose your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable version on the list and select Uninstall at the top.
- Select Yes in the prompt.
- Use the above steps to remove all versions of the component from your system.
- Open the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable site in your web browser and download the latest package.
- Run the downloaded file to install the component.
Update Your Windows Version
- Open Settings by pressing Windows + I.
- Select Update & Security in Settings.
- Choose Windows Update in the sidebar on the left.
- Select Check for updates in the pane on the right.
- Install the available updates.
- Reboot your PC.
- Launch your app.
Open Your Application in Compatibility Mode
- Right-click your app’s shortcut and choose Properties.
- Access the Compatibility tab.
- Enable Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Access the drop-down menu beneath the option and choose a Windows version. We recommend choosing the version where your app worked fine.
- Save your changes by selecting Apply followed by OK at the bottom.
- Launch your app.
Modify Compatibility Settings
- Right-click on the application you are failing to load and choose Properties.
- Then, navigate to Compatibility and click on Run this program in compatibility mode for.
- Expand the drop-down below right below the enabled feature and choose some older OS like Windows 10, 8, or 7.
- Click Apply and OK to save the changes.
Causes of Error Code 0xc0000142′ on Windows 11/10
- Temporary problem: The problem may only last for a short time if it is caused by bad data in the RAM. Because of this, you may have a lot of problems if you don’t restart your computer to get rid of the bad data.
- Windows that hasn’t been updated in a long time: If you haven’t updated Windows in a long time, this could be the cause of the error. You shouldn’t use an old version of Windows because it only works with old programs and might not be able to run the latest software. Because of this, you will have to update Windows.
- Corrupted Microsoft Visual C: Microsoft Visual C++ is a code compiler that lets you run programs written in the C++ and C languages. If the files for Microsoft Visual C++ are broken, you might not be able to run programs. You may need to reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ because of this.
- Corrupted System Files: Corrupted system files are another thing that could be to blame. System files are the files that do a lot of things, like installing programs on the system. If system files are broken, this error will show up.