The Microsoft Voice recorder that comes with Windows 11 lets you record sound, cut it up, and send it to your friends and family. Windows 10 works great with the voice recorder, but sometimes you may find that it stops working right away. Whenever you press the record button, the mic turns gray. There are times when you can hear the sound even though the microphone is on. You’re having one of the most frustrating times because you can’t figure out what to do. And so, don’t worry if you find that how to Fix ‘Voice Recorder not working’ issue in Windows 11/10.
If your Windows 10 voice recorder isn’t working right, here are some common fixes that will help. You will be able to make great, high-quality audio recordings once you fix the problems. That video you made won’t be useful if the sound quality is bad when you want to share it. Users will be more affected by a graphic or presentation that looks good and sounds good. They’ll be able to see what you see, which will help you get your point across better.
Common Reasons for Windows Voice Recorder Not Working
- Deactivated Recording Device: The recording device being turned off is a common reason why Windows Voice Recorder no longer works. The recorder will stop working if the speaker on your system is turned off because it won’t be able to pick up sound.
- Outdated Windows Driver: Another thing that could be causing the problem is an old Windows driver. If the driver that controls your microphone or other audio input devices is out of date, it can cause problems with compatibility and make the Voice Recorder app not work right.
- Bad Microphone Connection: Another thing that could go wrong is a microphone that isn’t connected correctly. The Voice Recorder won’t be able to receive audio input if the microphone isn’t securely plugged into the right port or if the connection is loose. This will cause recordings to fail.
- Accidentally Muting the Volume: The Voice Recorder can have problems when you forget to do something simple. If you accidentally turn down the volume on your computer, the app might not seem to respond because it won’t be able to record any sound, even if the device and microphone are working properly.
Fixed: ‘Voice Recorder not working’ issue in Windows 11/10
Check Microphone Settings
- For Windows 11: Go to “Settings” > “System” > “Sound” > “Input.” Choose your microphone from the list of available devices.
- For Windows 10: Right-click on the speaker icon in the taskbar and select “Open Sound settings.” Under “Input,” select your microphone from the dropdown list.
Allow Voice Recorder to use Microphone
- Open up the Windows settings.
- Click on Privacy and security.
- Go to the Microphone menu and click it.
- To use the Voice Recorder, flip the button on and off.
Enable microphone to Fix ‘Voice Recorder not working’ issue in Windows 11/10
- Start up your computer and go to the Windows Settings panel.
- Select Sound from the menu.
- Select “More sound settings” from the menu.
- Go to the tab that says Recording.
- If you right-click on the microphone, you can choose “Enable.”
- Press the OK button.
Restart Windows Audio service
- Use the search box on the Taskbar to look for services.
- If you find something, click on it.
- The Windows Audio service should be double-clicked on.
- Press the Stop button.
- Press the “Start” button.
For example, you could record an interview, a podcast, a message to a friend, or notes to yourself. Windows makes it easy to record sound. Not only can you use third-party apps, but Windows 11 also comes with an app called Voice Recorder already installed.
Voice Recorder, which used to be called Sound Recorders, is software that comes with Windows 11 that lets you record your voice. The app is easy to use and lets you record and edit basic audio. Voice Recorder lets you record your voice or other sounds quickly and easily. You can then save the recordings as MP3 files.
But when Windows 10 came out, it was changed to Voice Recorder. Windows 10 no longer has the original Sound Recorder. Voice Recorder was renamed Sound Recorder when Windows 11 came out. It also got some new features, like the ability to change the playback speed and the input source inside the app.