This tutorial is about How to Convert MBR to GPT without Data Loss in Windows 11/10. Recently I updated this tutorial and will try my best so that you understand this guide. I hope you guys like this blog, How to Convert MBR to GPT without Data Loss in Windows 11/10. If your answer is yes after reading the article, please share this article with your friends and family to support us.
Check How to Convert MBR to GPT without Data Loss in Windows 11/10
For users who want to upgrade to Windows 11, there is a question “Does Windows 11 use MBR or GPT?” Based on the Windows 11 minimum requirements published by Microsoft, Windows 11 will drop the old MBR partition scheme and switch to the GPT scheme. It is also meant to make your Windows computer more secure. So if you want to upgrade to Windows 11, you need to convert your current MBR disk to a GPT disk.
So what are MBR and GPT for disk? MBR and GPT are two different partition styles that are commonly used on storage devices, such as computer hard drives. They correspond to different boot modes, from MBR to legacy mode and from GPT to UEFI mode. GPT is more flexible and compatible with modern hardware than the MBR partition style. The biggest advantage of GPT is that there is no limit on the size of the disk and the number of partitions. On an MBR disk, users can create up to 4 partitions. While users can create up to 128 partitions on GPT disks.
Convert MBR to GPT without data loss
One of the main challenges we face while converting MBR to GPT is that conversion is possible from MBR to GPT only if there are no partitions or volumes present on the disk, which makes it impossible to convert without data loss. I still don’t know why Microsoft hasn’t offered an easier solution to this problem.
How do I change from MBR to GPT in Windows 11/10?
Fortunately, there are some such solutions that will help you convert MBR to GPT without data loss.
- Convert MBR to GPT using Diskpart
- Convert MBR to GPT without data loss using Gptgen
- Convert MBR to GPT without data loss using free third-party software
- Use the MBR2GPT disk conversion tool.
Before you start, in any case, it is always a good idea to BACK UP YOUR DATA to a safe place.
Convert MBR to GPT using Diskpart
Backup all your data and then use the DISKPART command.
- Open Command Prompt, type DISKPART and press Enter
- Then type list disk (Write down the number of the disk you want to convert to GPT)
- Then type select disk disk number
- Finally, type convert gpt.
Convert MBR to GPT without data loss using Gptgen
You can convert MBR to GPT without losing data, using a command line utility called gptgen. Gptgen is a tool designed to non-destructively convert hard drives partitioned in the common “MSDOS-style” MBR scheme (including extended partitions) to use a GUID partition table (GPT). It’s a ubiquitous tool but a bit tricky to run. According to the tool’s ‘readme’ file, the tool’s syntax is “gptgen \.physicaldriveX”,
- Here X is the drive number reported by the disk management console or the DISKPART utility “list disk” command.
- The -w switch causes gptgen to write the generated GUID partition tables to disk; otherwise, the primary table will be written to a file called “primary.img”, and the secondary table to “secondary.img”, in the directory the program was invoked from.
- You can then use dd to write the tables to disk.
Convert MBR to GPT without losing data using Partition Assistant
The last method is to use a tool called AOMEI Partition Assistant Lite Edition. It is a free multifunction partition management software. The function of this tool can help you convert a disk with data in GPT or MBR style without data loss.
To convert a disk to MBR/GPT disk
- Select the disk to convert;
- Right click the disk and select Convert to GPT/MBR disk;
- Confirm your operation by clicking “OK” to continue;
- Click the Apply button on the toolbar to confirm the changes.
Use the MBR2GPT disk conversion tool
- To convert MBR to GPT using the built-in tool MBR2GPT.exe:
- Boot to the Advanced Startup Options screen > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- Run the following command to validate that the drive meets the requirements.
- Run the following command to convert the drive from MBR to GPT.
Final remarks: How to Convert MBR to GPT without Data Loss in Windows 11/10
I hope you understand this article, How to Convert MBR to GPT without Data Loss in Windows 11/10. If your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes, please share this article with your friends and family to give us your support.