Windows’ sleep and hibernation modes are great for taking a break from work when you know you’ll be restarting shortly. With these low-power state modes; You can pick up where you left off while saving the computer’s energy. If you get the error message “An audio stream is in use” when you try to play a game or use an application on Windows 11, it’s probably because the audio service is already running in the background. This article is about how to Fix An Audio Stream Is Currently in Use Error on Windows.
It’s a good idea to put your computer to sleep after a period of inactivity. This is really useful as it puts your computer into a sleep mode, which saves energy while allowing you to pick up where you left off when the computer wakes up.
However, due to an error, your computer may not be able to enter sleep mode. The message “An audio stream is in use” is not an error, but a helpful message letting you know that a program is playing audio on your system. Below we have mention the steps to resolve An Audio Stream Is Currently in Use issue on Windows PC.
3 Ways to Fix An Audio Stream Is Currently in Use Error on Windows 11
Disable Line In from Sound Settings
- First of all, on your taskbar, right-click the sound icon.
- Then, from the menu that appears, choose Sounds.+
- This will bring up the Sounds window. Here, switch to the Recording tab.
- Then, right-click on the Line In device and from the drop-down menu, choose Disable.
- Once you have done that, click Apply and then hit OK.
- Finally, see if the problem still persists.
- First of all, open up the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R combination.
- Then, in the Run dialog box, type in gpedit.msc and hit the Enter key.
- This will open up the Local Group Policy Editor which we will use to disable cortana.
- Once the Local Group Policy Editor window is up, navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search.
- There, on the left-hand side, look for the Allow Cortana policy. Once located, double-click on it to change the policy.
- On the window that appears, choose the Disabled option and then click Apply. Finally, click OK.
- Once you have done that, Cortana will be disabled and that should, hopefully, resolve your problem. In case it doesn’t, move to the next solution.
Reinstall Audio Drivers
- First of all, you will have to open up the Device Manager window. To do this, go ahead and search for it in the Start Menu and then open it up.
- Once the Device Manager is up, expand the Sound, video and game controllers list.
- Locate your audio driver and then right-click on it. From the drop-down menu, choose Uninstall device.
- Once you have done that, you can go ahead and restart your system. When your system boots up, Windows will automatically install the required audio drivers for you.
We hope our article on methods to Fix An Audio Stream Is Currently in Use Error on Windows 11 will help you and resolve all your problems. The discussed error mainly occurs when the computer does not go into sleep or hibernation mode because one of the installed applications is running in the background. If you want to know how to get rid of this issue then follow the steps mentioned above.
I hope you understand this article, How To Fix An Audio Stream Is Currently in Use Error on Windows.