This tutorial is about How To Fix ‘Audacity Error Opening Sound Device’ Issue. Recently I updated this tutorial and will try my best so that you understand this guide. I hope you guys like this blog, How To Fix ‘Audacity Error Opening Sound Device’ Issue. If your answer is yes after reading the article, please share this article with your friends and family to support us.
Check How To Fix ‘Audacity Error Opening Sound Device’ Issue
Editing music files in Audacity is a really smooth experience. However, sometimes a bug restricts users’ access to the tool. The message says “There was an error opening the audio device” and this error will prevent you from working in Audacity. This error message can occur if there is no recording device available. If software playback is enabled in Audacity, you may also receive this error message on your system. Even an outdated version of the audio driver can cause this error message to appear on the system.
The problem with Audacity error opening audio device usually occurs when there are no recording devices available on your computer. Well, what causes Audacity’s “Error opening audio device”? There are many reasons. And it is usually a permission issue that can occur after a certain Windows update as Windows Update may reset some permission settings for apps.
Error opening sound device Audacity Fix
If your PC or computer is running Windows 10 operating system and you get the error when opening the sound device, you may need to change the privacy settings. Changing your privacy settings will allow your software to access and use your computer’s microphone.
- Launch the Windows start button, then enter Privacy and press Enter to access Privacy Settings
- In the settings window, which is under App Permissions (in the left-side menu), tap on Microphone
- Find the option Allow apps to access your microphone and toggle the switch to ON
- Find Audacity under Choose which apps can access your microphone, and then turn on the toggle switch. This command will allow Audacity to use the microphone.
Check for disabled devices on your PC
Due to problems in Windows, sound devices can be accidentally disabled. Look for any of the disabled devices and enable them to see if the change resolves the audacity bug. NOTE: We are still on the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- Exit Audacity
- Launch Control Panel.
- Click on the Sound option.
- Touch the Recording tab.
- Where the devices are listed, right-click anywhere and choose Show disabled devices, and check the box next to the option.
- Checking disabled devices displays all devices that are disabled on the computer by default or selected. However, if no new devices are found, the sound is likely to have other issues. Now, we suggest that you reinstall your sound card drivers. Alternatively, you can download and install the latest drivers for your sound card.
- If the search results show a new device, right-click the new device or devices and tap Properties.
- In the Device usage drop-down menu, click Use this device or the option to enable.
- Touch OK to close all other windows.
Other actions to correct an error when opening the sound
If you still get an error, try the steps below in the exact order to resolve the issue. We hope this works for you.
- Check the sample rate in Audacity, which will be displayed in the lower left of the Audacity program window (Project Frequency (Hz) 44100 Hz and 48000 Hz). These two sample rates are the most widely used and are also compatible with various sound cards. If you find a different sample, try switching to 44100 or 48000 and find out if it works for recording.
- Several sound cards support 1 or 2 channels of audio. Recording more channels in addition to those configured by a particular sound card will cause an error in Audacity. Select Edit> Preferences from the Audacity menu at the top. Check the Channels in the Devices section, which is set to 1 or 2.
- Audacity may not be able to detect the sound card on your computer, or it may not be working properly. Remove the sound card, and then install it back into the computer. This action will restart the computer. (Remove the sound card and install it). After reinstalling the sound card, try Audacity to see if the problem is resolved or if the error persists.
- You can uninstall the Audacity program you are using and then replace it with the latest version.
- After downloading and installing the latest version of Audacity, some possible errors or corruption can be fixed through the Audacity software that you are currently using on your computer.
- If the error persists, you can try replacing the existing sound card with a new one. If the sound card is linked to the motherboard (that is, the integrated sound card), install a new sound card and disable the integrated sound card.
fix error opening sound device in Audacity
- You can change the privacy settings on your PC.
- Uninstall your Audacity program and then download and install the latest version of Audacity.
- Replace the existing sound card.
Final remarks: How To Fix ‘Audacity Error Opening Sound Device’ Issue
I hope you understand this article, How To Fix ‘Audacity Error Opening Sound Device’ Issue. If your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes, please share this article with your friends and family to give us your support.