Error 1962 is a fairly well-known problem with Lenovo computers. Error 1962 appears when a Lenovo laptops/computer affected by this issue attempts to boot up. Error 1962 shows up when the boot sequence fails and the computer fails to startup, and the error code is accompanied by the following error message: “No Operating System found”. Affected users are confronted with error 1962 at random, with no discernible pattern. Some users notice the error after 3-4 days, while others notice it after only an hour or two. In this article we will teach you How to Fix Error 1962 ‘No Operating System Found’.
After a couple of hours of waiting, about half of all affected users are able to get their computer to boot up after seeing error 1962. Some affected users are unable to access their computer’s BIOS after seeing error 1962 because the error appears almost immediately after the computer boots up, but those who are able to access their computer’s BIOS notice that their computer does not detect their HDD, despite the fact that it begins seeing the HDD and booting up normally after the user waits a couple of hours. Below we have mention the steps to Fix Error 1962 ‘No Operating System Found’.
How to Fix Error 1962 ‘No Operating System Found’
Run Automatic/Startup Repair
- Restart the PC after inserting the Windows bootable installation DVD.
- When asked to, To boot from a CD or DVD, press any key; to continue, press any key.
- Choose your language preferences and then click Next. In the bottom-left corner, click Repair your computer.
- Click Troubleshoot on the Choose an option screen.
- On the Troubleshoot screen, select the Advanced option.
- Click Automatic Repair or Startup Repair on the Advanced options screen.
- Wait until the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs are finished.
- You have successfully resolved Error 1962 No Operating System Found.
Run Diagnostic Test
If the above method was ineffective, it is possible that your hard disk is damaged or corrupted. In any case, you must replace your old HDD or SSD with a new one and reinstall Windows. However, before jumping to any conclusions, you should run a diagnostic tool to determine whether you really need to replace the HDD/SSD.
To run Diagnostics, restart the PC and press the F12 key as soon as the computer starts (before the boot screen). When the Boot menu appears, highlight the Boot to Utility Partition option or the Diagnostics option and press enter to begin the Diagnostics. This will automatically check all of your system’s hardware and notify you if any problems are discovered.
Set correct boot order
You may be seeing “Error 1962 No Operating System Found” because the boot order is not properly set, which means that the computer is attempting to boot from a source that does not contain an operating system and failing. To resolve this issue, set the Hard Disk as the first priority in the Boot order. Let us look at how to configure proper boot order:
- When your computer boots up (before the boot screen or the error screen), repeatedly press the Delete or F1 or F2 key (depending on the manufacturer of your computer) to enter BIOS setup.
- Once in BIOS setup, choose the Boot tab from the list of options.
- Check that the computer’s hard disk or SSD is set as the first priority in the Boot order. If not, use the up and down arrow keys to place the hard disk at the top, which means the computer will boot from it first before any other source.
- Once the above changes have been made, navigate to the Startup tab and make the following changes:
- Primary Boot Sequence
- CSM: Boot Mode: Boot Priority: Quick Boot: Boot up Num-lock Status:
- To save and exit changes in the BIOS setup, press F10.
Enable UEFI Boot
The majority of UEFI firmware (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) contains bugs or is misleading. This is due to the frequent evolution of firmware, which has made UEFI overly complex. The Error 1962 No Operating System Found appears to be caused by UEFI firmware, and resetting or setting the UEFI default value appears to resolve the issue.
If you want to boot into a legacy operating system, you must enable CSM (Compatibility Support Module) (OS). If you recently upgraded your Windows installation, this setting is disabled by default, which disables support for older operating systems, preventing you from booting to OS. Make sure that UEFI is set as the first or only boot method (which is already the default value).
- Restart your computer and press F2 or DEL, depending on your model, to access Boot Setup.
- Make the following changes to the Startup tab:
Change Boot list option to UEFI
Disable Load Legacy option ROM
Enable Secure boot
- Then, press F10 to save and exit the boot configuration.
Restore your PC using Recovery Disc
- Insert the Windows installation media or Recovery Drive/System Repair Disc, choose your language, and then click Next.
- At the bottom, click Repair your computer/Laptop.
- Now select Troubleshoot, followed by Advanced Options.
- Finally, select “System Restore” and follow the onscreen instructions to finish the restore.
- Restart your computer, and this step may have resolved Error 1962. There was no operating system found.
Repair Install Windows 11/10
If none of the above solutions work for you, you can be confident that your HDD is in good working order. However, you may be seeing the error “Error 1962 No Operating System Found” because the operating system or BCD information on the HDD was somehow erased. In this case, you can try to Repair install Windows, but if that also fails, your only option is to install a fresh copy of Windows.
After applying all this above solution and still stuck in the same issue than we recommend you to go to their official Lenovo support website and request your problem to be solved. If you receive this error, it could be due to a corrupt boot sequence or an incorrectly configured boot order priority. In any case, when you try to boot your PC, you will be greeted with the Error 1962 No Operating System Found message, and you will have no choice but to restart your computer, which will land you on the same error message screen.
I hope you understand this article, How to Fix Error 1962 ‘No Operating System Found’.