Payday 2 is a first-person shooter video game developed by Overkill Software and published by 505 Games. If your monitor has gone completely black with no error codes displayed, you have the dreaded black screen of death. The lack of information makes it difficult to determine what caused the problem. In this article we will teach you How to Fix Payday 2 Black Screen Issue.
It could be as simple as a connection problem between your PC and monitor, or it could be more serious, such as hardware defects or a faulty Windows update. It is critical to understand that the black screen of death is not the same as the similarly named blue screen of death. Furthermore, if your black screen is accompanied by an error code, you should look into options other than those listed here.
How to Fix Payday 2 Black Screen Issue
Disable Full-Screen Optimizations
- First, change to the C:Programs (x86)SteamSteamappscommonPayDay 2BinariesWin64 directory. [If you have the Steam client or game installed on a different drive or location, go there].
- Right-click the PayDay 2.exe file and click Properties.
- Go to the Compatibility tab > Uncheck the Enable full-screen optimizations checkbox.
- Click Apply and then OK to save the changes.
Run the game as an Administrator
Run the game exe file as an administrator to avoid user account control issues with privileges. On your PC, you should also run the Steam client as an administrator. To accomplish this:
- Right-click on the PayDay 2 exe shortcut file on your PC.
- Now select Properties > Click the Compatibility tab.
- Make sure you click the Run this program as administrator checkbox to enable it.
- Click Apply and select OK to save the changes.
Check Graphics Driver Update
Examine your PC’s graphics driver update to see if it is outdated. An outdated GPU driver version or a corrupted driver can sometimes cause a variety of problems. It will also assist you in resolving black screen issues with games or applications. To accomplish this:
- Press the Windows + X keys to open the Quick Link menu.
- Now click Device Manager > Double-click Display Adapters in the list.
- Right-click on the dedicated graphics card you are using.
- Then select Update Drivers > Select Automatically check for drivers.
- If an update is available, the system automatically downloads and installs it.
- Then restart Windows PC to apply the changes.
Update PayDay 2
If you haven’t updated your PayDay 2 game in a while, follow the steps below to check for updates and instal the latest patch (if available). To accomplish this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library > Click PayDay 2 in the left pane.
- It will automatically check for an available update. If an update is available, click on “Update”.
- It may take some time for the update to install > Then close the Steam client.
- Finally, restart your PC to apply the changes and then try to start the game again.
Check System Resources
If the game loads slowly or takes too long to start, check the system resources after launching the PayDay 2 game on your PC by following the steps below to see if the RAM or CPU Usage increases or decreases.
- Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Click the Processes tab > Select the task you want to close.
- After making your selection, click Close Task. Make sure you follow the steps for each task individually.
- Then restart your computer to change the effects immediately.
Disable Overlay Applications
According to some affected players, overlay applications can run in the background while gaming, consuming system resources and causing gameplay issues. So, if you’re not using a dedicated overlay application for chatting, taking screenshots, or recording gameplay sessions, disabling them before the game will come in handy. To accomplish this:
- Open the Steam client > Go to Library.
- Now right-click on PayDay 2 > Select Properties.
- Go to the General section > Uncheck the Enable Steam Overlay checkbox here.
- Go back to Library > Open PayDay 2 again to check if the black screen problem still exists.
Check Windows Updates
It’s also possible that your Windows OS build has been out of date for a while. Aside from bugs or stability issues, your gameplay performance will suffer greatly in this scenario. As a result, it’s always a good idea to check for Windows updates and instal the most recent version (if available). To accomplish this:
- Press the Windows + I keys to open the Windows Settings menu.
- Then click Update & Security > In the Windows Update section, select Check for updates.
- If an update is available, select Download and install.
- Wait for some time for the update to complete.
- Finally, restart your PC to apply the changes immediately.
Lower in-game Graphics Settings
To see if it helps, try lowering the in-game graphics settings from the game menu. Disable V-Sync, Shadow effects, and Anti-Aliasing, and try running the game at a lower display resolution to resolve black screen issues.
Press ALT+TAB Key Combo
Some affected PC users have reported that they can switch between open programmes on the PC by pressing the ALT + TAB key shortcut combo. So, keep pressing ALT + TAB to switch between programmes, and then return to the running game to see if the problem has been resolved. It will switch the display mode from full-screen to windowed mode, then back to full-screen mode, which should resolve the black screen issue.
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime
To completely resolve multiple gaming issues or errors, reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime on your computer. To accomplish this:
- Press the Windows key on the keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Type Apps & Features and click on it in the search result.
- Now locate the Microsoft Visual C++ program(s) in the list.
- Select each program and click Uninstall.
- Visit the official Microsoft website and download the latest version of Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime.
- Then install it on your computer and restart the system to change the effects.
So, here we conclude our article on How to Fix Payday 2 Black Screen Issue. The PayDay 2 black screen is likely to appear due to a PC configuration compatibility issue with the game’s system requirements. Meanwhile, an outdated graphics driver, missing or corrupted game files, an outdated game version, DirectX issues, overlay app issues, higher in-game graphics settings, and so on can all cause the game to launch with a black screen.
I hope you understand this article, How to Fix Payday 2 Black Screen Issue.