This tutorial is about How to Turn off Incognito Mode in Chrome Browser. Recently I updated this tutorial and will try my best so that you understand this guide. I hope you guys like this blog, How to Turn off Incognito Mode in Chrome Browser. If your answer is yes after reading the article, please share this article with your friends and family to support us.
Check How to Turn off Incognito Mode in Chrome Browser
Here’s how to disable incognito mode in Chrome for both Windows and Mac OS X.
What is incognito mode?
- Incognito mode in Chrome is Google’s implementation of private browsing. Users can enable this mode and browse the Internet without Chrome recording cookies, usernames, passwords, or history. This may be of concern to parents because it could allow children to view restricted contents or other inappropriate material without leaving a trace. Incognito mode in Chrome is similar to private browsing in Firefox and InPrivate browsing in Internet Explorer.
- Incognito mode can be disabled in Google Chrome on Windows by editing the registry. It can be disabled in Mac OS X by editing Chrome’s property list file.
How to disable incognito mode in Windows
First, open the registry editor:
- Open the start menu.
- In the search box, type “regedit”
- A program called regedit.exe will appear, click this
- If a warning appears, click Yes
Next, navigate to the Policies key:
- Start by double clicking on “Computer”
- Then double click on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”
- Then double click on “SOFTWARE”
- Finally, double click on “Policies”
Next, create a new entry called IncognitoModeAvailability:
- Right click on “Policies” and select New >> Password
- Enter “Google” (without the quotes) as the key name
- Right click on “Google” and select New >> Key
- Enter “Chrome” (without the quotes) as the key name
- Right click on “Chrome” and select New >> DWORD Value (32 bit)
- Enter “IncognitoModeAvailability” (without the quotes) for the name
- Right click on “IncognitoModeAvailability” and select “Modify …”
- Type a 1 in the “Value data” text box
- Click OK and exit the Registry Editor program.
- Restart Google Chrome and now, if you open the settings menu, the “New incognito window” option will be disabled.
How to disable incognito mode on Mac OS X
The file to be edited is in “/Users//Library/Preferences/com.google.Chrome.plist”. Typically, the contents of the user library folder are kept hidden to prevent accidental changes. To open the folder:
- Switch to the Finder application. You’ll know you’ve selected the Finder app when the word in bold next to the Apple logo at the top left of the screen says “Finder.” You can click anywhere on the desktop or select the leftmost icon in the Dock to switch to the Finder.
- In the top menu, click “Go”, then “Go to folder …”
- Paste the following and press Go: “~ / Library / Preferences” (without quotes)
The file to edit is called “com.google.Chrome.plist”. You will need to download a text editor to make changes to this file; TextEdit, a program that comes with Mac OS X, will not work. A free and easy-to-use program that will work is TextWrangler. Once you have a text editing program installed, open the file:
- Right click on the file named “com.google.Chrome.plist” and select “Open with …”, then “Other” at the bottom.
- Find and select your text editing program.
- The file will open within your program.
Final remarks: How to Turn off Incognito Mode in Chrome Browser
I hope you understand this article, How to Turn off Incognito Mode in Chrome Browser. If your answer is no, you can ask anything via the contact forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes, please share this article with your friends and family to give us your support.