A Blu-ray Disc is a high-capacity disc that can play movies with resolutions of 1080p and 4K. Dual-layer Blu-ray Discs can hold 50 GB of data, while a DVD can only hold 8.7 GB of data. Because of this, Blu-ray discs have better video and sound quality than DVDs. In addition, they can add more extra bonus content to their menus. A Blu-ray optical drive is needed to play Blu-ray Discs on a Windows desktop or laptop. This article is about How to Play Blu-Rays on Windows.
You will also need Blu-ray media player software that fully supports the disc format. Blu-ray players are pieces of software that let you watch Blu-ray movies when you put them in an optical drive. They support Blu-ray directly and have all the playback options you need to watch videos. So, having the physical drive on our PC is not enough. What is more important is having the software to play them.
How to Play Blu-Rays on Windows
Play Blu-Rays on Windows Using VLC Media Player
Both the VLC media player and the window media player can play music and videos. It also has some extra features. But VLC Media Player can not play Blu-ray discs on its own. So you will have to make some changes.
You need to get two more files from the Internet and put them in the right folders. In the Microsoft store, you can not find a VLC Media File. It can be found on the website of the developer and is free to download. Here’s how the whole thing works:
- First, we have to get VLC Media Player for Windows 11 and install it.
- Once you have VLC Media Player set up. Go to C:Program Files and make a new folder called “aacs.”
- Go to vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name to get the AACS dynamic library and the keys database (KEYDB.cfg) (libaacs.dill)
- The next step is to get KEYDB.cfg and put it in the “aacs” folder. Then, get libaacs.dill from the same website and put it in your VLC folder.
- Now, start the VLC Media Player. Here, click on the “Media” option in the tab menu. Now, choose “Open Disc” from the menu that comes up when you right-click.
- It will open a window called “Open Media.” In this window, click on “Blu-ray” and check the box next to “No disc menus.”
- Then, in the “Disk device” field, choose your Blu-ray and click the “Play” button.
Now you can put your Blu-ray disc in your Computer and watch it. Next time, whenever you are going to watch a Blu-ray disc.
Rip and Convert
Ripping and encoding is the second way to play Blu-ray discs on your window. With this method, all you have to do is change the files on the disc into a format that can be played. It lets you use any media player to play discs. But the conversion does not hurt the disc in any way. So, the disc can be used anywhere you want. You can use programs like MakeMKV to rip and change files.
It is easy to use, and it is also easy to convert. You can even watch files that have been converted on a different device, like your phone. The only problem is that it might take too long to convert. Most of the time, the files that are converted take up a lot of space on the hard drive. So, here are the steps you can take to rip and change your Blu-ray disc:
- Go to the official MakeMKV website and download the version 1.17.2 of MakeMKV for Windows.
- Install MakeMKV on Windows 11 the same way you install other downloaded software. Open the MakeMKV once the installation is done.
- Here, click the “File” option on the tab menu. Now, choose “Open Disc” from the menu that comes up when you right-click.
- After that, choose the Blu-Ray you want to play and click “Yes.” In the MakeMKV section, you will see a green icon. Click on that, then click the “Yes” button. Wait until the change is done. Play the MKV file you just made and enjoy your movie.
Why wont my laptop play Blu-ray?
The computer needs to have software that can play Blu-ray movies. Blu-ray movies can not be watched with Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center. If your computer did not come with Blu-ray player software, you might need to install third-party software to play Blu-ray movies.
Why can’t I play Blu-ray on Windows Media Player?
Windows Media Player does not work with Blu-ray Discs. To play a Blu-ray Disc, you need a device that can read Blu-ray Discs and a program that does not come from Microsoft that can play Blu-rays.
Why wont my Blu-ray play on VLC?
In fact, the VLC media player will not be able to do this until libbluray comes out, which will allow it to play Blu-rays. So, you need to get the Blu-ray video library file for VLC on your computer before you can use it. VLC’s most important features are that it can play almost all media files.