Overwatch 2 is a highly anticipated first-person shooter video game that is based on a cooperative multiplayer mode and is being developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment. It’s possible that Overwatch 2 will request a player’s phone number in order to put SMS Protect into action. This is a precaution the developers are taking to protect player accounts. There are workarounds available for this problem in the event that you are an enthusiastic Play Overwatch 2 Without a Phone Number.
However, in order to play Overwatch 2, a player must still provide their phone number, even if they have never played the original Overwatch game or do not have a Battle.net account that is connected. The requirement of a phone number in Overwatch 2 is intended to discourage dishonest play and cheating. Blizzard has the ability to verify the identity of the player and ensure that they are not creating multiple accounts in order to exploit the game’s system when they link a phone number to an existing account.
This helps to keep the game enjoyable for all players while also maintaining its integrity and fairness. When opening a new account, many people find that providing their phone numbers is embarrassing or even inconvenient to do. There are, on the other hand, ways to get around this prerequisite and start playing Overwatch 2 even if you don’t have a phone number.
Why Some Players Want to Play Without a Phone Number
- Privacy: Some players may be concerned about the privacy of their phone number and do not want to share it with Blizzard or other players.
- Security: Some players may be concerned about the security of their phone number and do not want it to be used to track them or hack their account.
- Anonymity: Some players may want to play the game anonymously and do not want their phone number to be associated with their account.
- Access: Some players may not have a phone number or may have a phone number that is not eligible to be used to verify an Overwatch 2 account.
How to Create an Overwatch 2 Account Without a Phone Number
Using a Gmail Account
- Open up your web browser and go to Gmail.com.
- Sign in with your email address and password if you already have a Gmail account. If you don’t have an account, click “Create account” to set up a new one.
- Fill in the required information, which includes a unique email address and a strong password.
- Once you’ve set up your new Gmail account or logged in to your old one, you can use this email address to make an Overwatch 2 account.
- During the Overwatch 2 registration process, if you are asked to enter your phone number, leave the field blank or skip the step if you can.
Using a Friend’s Phone Number
- Talk to a friend or family member and tell them what’s going on. Tell them you need their phone number for a short time so you can set up an account for the game.
- Make sure your friend is okay with you giving out their phone number and that they know it will only be used to verify their account.
- Once your friend gives you permission, you can create an account on the Overwatch 2 platform.
- You will be asked to enter a phone number during the verification process. Fill in your friend’s phone number where it says to.
- Remember that your friend might get a call or a code to confirm the account. Make sure you talk to them all the time so you can give them any information or instructions they need.
- Once the verification process is done, you will have successfully made an account without using your own phone number.
Pros and Cons of Playing Without a Phone Number
|Privacy: You can protect your privacy by not providing your phone number.||Security: Your account may be more vulnerable to hacking without a phone number.|
|Anonymity: You can play the game anonymously without providing your phone number.||Restrictions: You may be restricted from certain features or game modes if you do not provide a phone number.|
|Convenience: You may not need to go through the hassle of providing and verifying your phone number.||Support: You may have difficulty getting support from Blizzard if you do not have a verified phone number.|
Is It Possible to Play Overwatch 2 Without a Phone Number?
Yes, it is possible to play Overwatch 2 without a phone number; however, this will only be the case if you have previously played Overwatch 1 prior to the date of June 9, 2021. If you have an Overwatch 1 account that was created prior to that date, you will not be required to provide a phone number in order to log in to an Overwatch 2 account when it is released.
To participate in Overwatch 2, you will need to provide a phone number if you are a new player or if you did not play Overwatch 1 before June 9, 2021. This is because Blizzard has implemented a new rule that requires all players to have a Battle.net account that is linked to a phone number that has been verified.
This policy was introduced by Blizzard as part of an initiative to cut down on toxic behavior and cheating within the game. Blizzard will have a much easier time identifying and banning players who engage in these types of behaviors if the company requires all players to have a verified phone number. If you know more details about this, than you can check on official website.
Even though it might seem strange to need a phone number to play an online game, Overwatch 2 does this because it uses a system called SMS Protect. This system checks phone numbers to make sure they are real and keeps fraud and scams from happening.
To play certain Blizzard and Activision games, you need to add a phone number to your Battle.net account. Other games, like World of Warcraft, need both a phone number and an Authenticator to use in-game features like the Group Finder or extra backpack slots.
“We’ve decided to get rid of the need for a phone number for most existing Overwatch players. Anyone who has played Overwatch since June 9, 2021 and has a connected Battle.net account will not have to give their phone number to play.