How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages: Social media sites let people connect with each other through their phones and talk about what’s going on in their lives. Even though it’s a great way to stay in touch with friends and family, you might delete a conversation by accident or the Snapchat servers might delete one that you want to get back.
When this happens, it can be very frustrating! But don’t worry, you can try to get your messages back in a few different ways. In this article, we’ll show you how to see deleted Snapchat conversations and maybe even get them back.
What Is Snapchat?
Before we get into the guide, let’s answer the question: what is Snapchat? Snapchat is a short name for a mobile app that lets you send photos and videos. It’s different from platforms like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger because all messages are deleted after 24 hours or after being read, unless you save them. Because of this, Snapchat is a great way to share quick, real moments with friends without worrying about them being saved or shared without your permission.
How to Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages
- Open Snapchat: Launch the Snapchat app on your mobile device.
- Login: Enter your Snapchat username and password to log into your account.
- Profile Settings: Tap on your profile icon or Bitmoji icon located in the top left corner of the screen to access your profile settings.
- Chat Settings: In the profile settings, find and tap on the gear or settings icon to access your account settings.
- Chat History: Scroll down and locate the “Chat” section in the settings menu. Tap on “Chat” to access your chat settings.
- Message Recovery: In the chat settings, find and tap on “Cache” or “Clear Cache” to clear the cache of the app.
- Recover Messages: After clearing the cache, exit the Snapchat app completely and make sure it is not running in the background.
- Turn Off Wi-Fi/Cellular Data: Disable Wi-Fi or cellular data on your device. This will prevent the app from syncing with the Snapchat servers.
- Open Snapchat Again: Launch the Snapchat app again while still offline (without internet connection).
- Find the Deleted Messages: Go to the chat or conversation where the deleted messages were located. You should be able to see the deleted messages as they were temporarily stored in the cache.
- Take Screenshots: Take screenshots of the messages you want to recover to save them on your device.
- Logout and Enable Internet Connection: After taking the screenshots, log out of your Snapchat account and enable Wi-Fi or cellular data on your device.
- Message Recovery Warning: Keep in mind that once you log back in and the app syncs with the Snapchat servers, the deleted messages will be permanently removed and cannot be recovered.
Why is Recovering Messages on Snapchat More Difficult?
Ephemeral messaging is a type of conversation or chat that disappears on its own. After a message has been opened and read, it is automatically deleted. You can decide how long a message stays in someone’s inbox with ephemeral messaging.
It’s a feature that most text or chat platforms don’t have. This messaging lets people say things they wouldn’t say out loud because they were afraid their thoughts would get out. You can also save space on your device by sending messages that delete themselves. You won’t have to manually delete things every few days to make room and keep your computer running at its best.
Recover Deleted Snapchat Messages on iPhone via iCloud Backup. iCloud is the cloud storage option provided to iOS device users to store a backup of the most valuable data. If you are up to date with your backup, you can surely use this method to recover the deleted Snapchat messages on your device.
Snapchat is unable to provide copies of Snaps to Snapchatters. Delete is our default. Which means opened or expired Snaps typically cannot be retrieved from Snapchat’s servers by anyone, for any reason. In most cases, opened Snaps are automatically deleted once they have been viewed or have expired.
Contacting Snapchat’s Support Team is one of the best ways to get a copy of your deleted Snapchat messages. As you are contacting the app’s team, you can be sure that the steps will be easy and that your data is still safe and secured.