Since AirTag has been out for more than two years, it’s time to replace the battery again before it dies on you. Here’s what you need to do. The battery in an AirTag will last a little longer than a year, and your iPhone will let you know when the battery is running low. But because you don’t know how to Replace your AirTag Battery, that could be a big problem.
If you’re on a one-month ocean cruise, for example, you might get the low battery warning in the first hour. Then, when you get off the boat at the end of the trip, your luggage goes missing. You can be sure that Apple won’t wait until the last minute to tell you that your phone’s battery is low. But if Apple could accurately predict how long an AirTag charge will last, it would be better to show us the percentage of charge left, which it no longer does.
Apple no longer gives you a way to see how much of an AirTag’s battery is still charged, which you could do when it first came out. Still, you can assume that an AirTag will last about a year. How long an AirTag’s battery lasts depends on how often it is used. And the only time you’ll use it is to find something you’ve lost.
Why Replace the AirTag Battery?
- To keep your AirTag working. The AirTag battery is not designed to last forever. Eventually, it will run out of power and the AirTag will stop working. By replacing the battery, you can ensure that your AirTag is always ready to use.
- To extend the range of your AirTag. The AirTag’s range is limited by the power of its battery. A new battery will give your AirTag a longer range, so you can track it even further away.
- To improve the accuracy of your AirTag. The AirTag’s accuracy can also be affected by the power of its battery. A new battery will help to ensure that your AirTag is always able to accurately report its location.
- To protect your privacy. If you are selling or giving away your AirTag, it is a good idea to replace the battery before doing so. This will help to protect your privacy and prevent the new owner from tracking you.
Check your AirTag’s battery levels
- On your iPhone, open the app called “Find My.”
- Tap the tab for Items.
- Find the AirTag on the list and choose it.
- If the AirTag’s battery level is low, a message that says “Low Battery” will show up next to it.
How to Replace your AirTag Battery
- Hold the AirTag so that the stainless steel cover for the battery is facing you.
- Press the cover down and turn it counter–clockwise until it stops.
- Put your fingers down. Now, the cover for the battery will pop up.
- Pull off the cover and take out the battery. Then, put in a new battery with the positive side facing you.
- Once the battery is in the right place, put the cover back on by lining up the three tabs on the cover with the slots on your AirTag and pressing it down a little.
- Now that the new battery is in, the AirTag will play a song to let you know.
- Turn the lid in a clockwise direction until it stops.
Tips for a Successful Battery Replacement
- Pick out the right one. Make sure you buy a battery that works with your gadget. Most of the time, this kind of information can be found in the device’s manual or online.
- Get your thing ready. Make sure to turn off your device and unplug it from any power sources before you start replacing the battery. You could also take out the SIM card and the memory card.
- Use the right equipment. To change the battery, you will need a screwdriver and a spudger, among other things. Most hardware stores sell these kinds of tools.
- Watch out. When you change the battery, be careful not to hurt any of the device’s internal parts. If you don’t feel confident enough to change the battery yourself, you can take it to a professional.
- Just do what it says. Most batteries come with instructions on how to change them. Make sure to carefully follow these steps.
How Often Should You Replace the AirTag Battery?
Apple says that the battery for the AirTag should last about a year. But how long the AirTag’s battery lasts may depend on how often you use it. For example, if you often use the AirTag to track your luggage while traveling, the battery may not last as long as if you only used it occasionally to track your keys. Open the Find My app and tap on the Items tab. This will show you how much power is left in your AirTag. Then, tap on the AirTag whose battery level you want to check. The battery level will be shown next to the name of the AirTag.
Lift the AirTag’s cover and take out the battery. Put the positive side of your new CR2032 lithium 3V coin battery toward you and into the open slot. Your AirTag should make a sound to let you know that the battery has made a good connection. Change the cover for the battery.
Although Apple has not provided information regarding the precise Bluetooth range of an AirTag, it is believed that each AirTag supports Bluetooth 5.0 (the same as the most recent iPhones). The range of a Bluetooth device is approximately 30 feet.
As long as the battery in an AirTag has power left over, the AirTag will continue to function normally. Apple’s tiny trackers that are powered by Bluetooth and use CR2032 lithium coin batteries to power themselves. They have a life expectancy of about a year before they completely deplete themselves. The issue is that users are required to replace them because they cannot be recharged in any way.