If you have a guest at your house for any length of time, they might ask you for the Wi-Fi password. This could be the start of a dance where you try to remember it or read out a long string of numbers, letters, and symbols. This article is about How to share a Wi-Fi password on Phone.
You could always buy a Wi-Fi password sign or write it on a sticky note that you can quickly point guests to, but that is not always the easiest solution. If your password is long or has symbols that are hard to read, it can be a pain to get your friends and family connected.
It is important to note that if you often have people you do not know well or big groups over, you should really think about setting up a guest or temporary Wi-Fi network, which many routers will let you do. This way is much safer than just giving your password to anyone who comes into your house.
How to share a Wi-Fi password on iPhone and iPad
- Turn on Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on both devices.
- Ensure both devices are signed in with the same Apple ID or two accounts in each other’s Contacts.
- Connect one device to a Wi-Fi network.
- On the other device, select the desired network, but do not enter the password.
- If the devices are close enough, a pop-up message will appear on the connected device, offering to share the password.
- Click on “Share password” to proceed.
- Now, the second device should be able to connect to the network.
- On the first device, a pop-up will confirm the successful connection.
How to share a Wi-Fi password on Android
Apple’s way of sharing Wi-Fi passwords is much better than what Android phones have. But its built-in QR code generator still gets you online quickly and does not require you and the other person to have each other’s devices in your contacts.
- Android device: Connect to Wi-Fi network by entering password.
- Tap gear icon next to desired network in Wi-Fi menu.
- Select “QR code” or “Share”.
If you use the camera app on another device to scan this code, it will connect to the Wi-Fi network automatically. You can also take a picture of this QR code or save it to use later. There are other ways to make QR codes. The same thing can be done with Siri shortcuts on iOS devices. Just ask Siri to “Make a QR code” or go to the Shortcuts app, find the relevant command, and follow the steps.
Share a Wi-Fi Password via Nearby Share
If you do not want to use a QR code to share your Wi-Fi password, you can use Nearby Share. This method also involves making a network share QR code, but it does not involve scanning a QR code.
With Android’s Nearby Share feature, you can share files and apps wirelessly with other devices. It also lets you share information about your network with other Android devices close by. If you have never used Nearby Share before, you will need to turn it on and set it up first. Here’s what you need to do.
- Tap Settings on your Android phone or tablet.
- Tap Google and scroll down.
- Tap Devices & Sharing, then choose Nearby Share.
- Next, click the Use Nearby Share switch to turn it on.
- Turn on your phone’s Bluetooth and Location.
- Follow the steps in the first method to make a network share QR code.
- Tap Nearby Share on the QR code screen and hold your friends’ phones close to your own.
- Tap on the name of your friend’s phone and, if asked, accept the connection.
- Tap Save network once the content has been sent. The Android phone will save and connect to the network on its own.
- To close Nearby Share, tap “Done.”
What to do when Wi-Fi Sharing on iPhone doesn’t Work?
If you can not get your devices to share Wi-Fi passwords, here are a few ways to make it work.
- Restart both the iPhone and the other gadget.
- Make sure the software on both devices is up to date. Go to Settings > General > Software Update > Download and Install to update your iPhone. If you do not see the option to download and update, your iPhone is already up to date.
- Turn off Wi-Fi and then turn it back on. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and tap on the name of the network. Tap the icon that looks like the letter I and then tap “Forget this network.” When you are finished, connect to the network again and type in your password.
- Change how your iPhone connects to networks. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings to do this.
- Last, try turning your router off and on again.
Android devices share Wi-Fi passwords through QR code generation, so Apple devices can receive login credentials this way as well. In order to share and receive a password, your Android device must be running Android 10 or later.
Use the Wi-Fi networks list on your Android phone. It’s easy to share your WiFi connection with someone from an Android device, too. Just open the Wi-Fi settings and look for the “Share” button next to the network you want to share. Tap on it and select how you wish to share the Internet connection.