Meta Platforms is the company that owns both Threads and Instagram, which are both social media sites. But each one focuses on and has different parts. Threads is a text-based app for people who are close with each other. It lets people share short posts, photos, and videos with a small group of people. Threads also lets you share your live location, send messages that disappear, and make polls. Instagram is a social media site that is more visual and lets people share photos and videos with a wider audience. It also has options for IGTV, Stories, and Reels.
Instagram and Threads are two popular social media apps that let users share their thoughts, opinions, photos, and videos with their followers and the rest of the world. Threads is Meta’s answer to Twitter, which is having problems of its own. Meta decided to release Threads as a competitor because Twitter was having problems. A version of Instagram with more text has been talked about for a long time, and now it’s finally here. It’s a lot like Twitter and Instagram, but in a lot of different ways. Since both Threads and Instagram let you post text and pictures, there’s a lot to figure out because the differences aren’t clear-cut.
What is Threads?
In computer science, a thread is a small process that can work with other threads in the same program at the same time. Threads use the same memory and resources as the program that made them, but they have their own stack and instruction pointer. This lets different threads in the same program work together and do their jobs well.
Threads is a social media app that works with Instagram. It lets users share text, photos, and videos with a small group of close friends. The user’s “Close Friends” list is the only group that can see their thread posts. Threads also has features like live location sharing and messages that disappear after a certain amount of time.
In this case, you are referring to the second meaning of the word, which is social media app.
Instagram released Threads in July 2023. It’s meant to be a more private and close way to stay in touch with your closest friends. Only people on your “Close Friends” list, which you can change, can see what you post in a thread. You can also let your Close Friends know where you are right now and send them messages that disappear after a while. Threads is a free app that works on both iOS and Android.
What is Instagram?
Instagram is a social networking site where people can share photos and videos. It is owned by Meta Platforms. Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger released it in October 2010, and it quickly became one of the most popular social media sites in the world. Instagram users can upload photos and videos, add filters and editing effects, and share them with their followers. They can also follow other users, look at content that is popular right now, and leave comments on posts.
Instagram is a popular way to share photos and videos because it has a lot of cool features. Some of these things are:
- 📷 Filters: Instagram users can add filters to their photos and videos to make them look better.
- 🎨 Editing: Instagram also has a number of tools that users can use to change the brightness, contrast, saturation, and other parts of their photos and videos.
- #️⃣ Hashtags: Instagram users use hashtags to organize and find content. By adding hashtags to their posts, users can make it easier for other users to find them.
- 📅 Stories: Stories are a temporary way to share photos and videos that go away after 24 hours. They are a popular way to share content from behind the scenes or news about your life.
- 🎥 Live: Live is a feature that lets users show their followers live videos. It is a common way to talk with people who follow you in real time.
- 🛍️ Shopping: With Instagram Shopping, companies can sell their goods right on the app.
Instagram is a popular platform for a variety of purposes, including:
- Connecting with friends and family
- Sharing photos and videos of your life
- Following your favorite celebrities and influencers
- Discovering new businesses and products
- Promoting your own business or brand
Threads vs Instagram Comparison Table
Both Threads and Instagram are mobile apps for social sharing. Both are owned by Facebook, but they serve different needs. Threads is a private messaging app for close friends that lets them share quick status updates and photos. Instagram is a larger social network that focuses on visual storytelling with tools like Stories and a feed to reach more people. The table below shows the main differences between the platforms so that users can choose the one that works best for them when it comes to socializing.
|Focus||Text-based conversations||Visual content and social networking|
|Target audience||Close friends and family||Friends, family, and followers|
|Content types||Text, images, videos, polls, questions||Images, videos, Reels, Stories, Live|
|Character limit||500 characters||No character limit|
|Video length limit||5 minutes||60 seconds (Reels), 15 seconds (Stories)|
|Audience control||Can choose who can see your posts||Can choose who can follow you|
|Privacy settings||Can set posts to public, private, or close friends||Can set posts to public, private, or close friends|
|Other features||Live location sharing, disappearing messages, activity status||Likes, comments, shares, Stories, Reels, Live|
|Availability||iOS and Android||iOS and Android|
Threads vs Instagram: Features
Instagram is an app that lets you share photos and videos on your feed, stories, reels, live, and IGTV. Users can also add filters, stickers, text, and other effects to their photos and videos to change them. Instagram also lets users send photos, videos, voice messages, and GIFs to their friends through a feature called “direct messaging.”
- Visual platform for sharing photos and videos
- Offers a variety of features, including Stories, Reels, IGTV and Live
- Posts are visible to the user’s followers
- Allows users to follow other users, like and comment on posts, and send direct messages
- Includes a variety of filters and editing tools for photos and videos
- Has a more complex interface than threads
Threads is an app for text-based chats that works with Instagram. Text messages, images, and videos can be posted by users to their feeds. In addition, users can quote, repost, and comment on one another’s posts. Through Threads, users can also share their Instagram stories posts. Although direct messaging is not yet available on Threads, users can still use the app to access their Instagram chats.
- Text-based platform with a 500-character limit for posts
- Allows users to share links and videos up to 5 minutes long
- Provides tools for positive, productive conversations and gives users more control over their audience
- Posts are only visible to the user’s close friends
- Features a live location sticker that allows users to share their current location with friends
- Includes a disappearing message feature that allows users to send messages that self-destruct after a set amount of time
- A simplified user interface that makes it easy to share updates with friends
Threads vs Instagram: Similarities
- Meta Platforms owns both of them. Threads is a separate app that connects to your Instagram account. Instagram, on the other hand, is a social networking site with many features, such as Stories, Reels, and Live.
- Users can share photos and videos on both. Threads makes it easy to share photos and videos with a small group of close friends, while Instagram lets people share their content with more people.
- Both have ways to send direct messages. On Threads and Instagram, users can send each other private messages.
- Both are based on where you are. Threads users can tell their friends where they are, and Instagram users can add a location to their posts.
- Both have things that make them easy to find. Threads users can see suggested posts from their friends, and Instagram users can see suggested posts from people they follow or from people who use similar hashtags.
- Both have ways to control privacy. On Threads and Instagram, users can choose who can see their posts and messages.
Threads is like Instagram in some ways, but it also has some features that make it different. For example, Threads has an automatic status feature that tells your friends what you’re doing throughout the day. It also has a simplified interface that makes it easy to share photos and videos with your close friends. Overall, Threads and Instagram are both social media sites that let people share photos, videos, and messages with their friends. Threads, on the other hand, is made for a smaller group of people, while Instagram is made for a bigger group.
Threads vs Instagram: Differences
- Threads is a platform for text, while Instagram is a platform for pictures. Threads is made for sharing short, personal updates with close friends, while Instagram is more for sharing photos and videos with a wider audience.
- Threads has features like messages that disappear, sharing your location in real time, and polls. These features are also on Instagram, but they aren’t as easy to find in Threads.
- Threads is made for a smaller, more personal group of people than Instagram. On Threads, you can only connect with close friends, but on Instagram, you can connect with anyone.
- Threads has a simpler algorithm than Instagram, so your friends are more likely to see what you post there. Instagram’s algorithm is more complicated, which makes it harder to cheat.
- Threads is still a new app, so it’s hard to say what the future holds for it. Instagram hasn’t said that it will shut down Threads, but the app could be merged with other Meta products in the future.
There are also some smaller differences between Threads and Instagram that aren’t as important. For example, Instagram has Stories and Reels, but Threads does not. Threads is also different from Instagram in how you use it. Overall, Threads and Instagram are two social media sites that are very different from each other. Instagram is a more public and visual platform, while Threads is more private and close. How you decide which platform to use will depend on your own needs and preferences.
Threads vs Instagram: User Interface and Design
Threads is made for people who are close to each other. It has a simple interface with a focus on sharing photos and videos and sending messages. On the home screen, you can see a list of your most recent messages, and tapping the plus button makes it easy to start a new thread. Threads also has a feature called “stories,” which lets you share photos and videos that go away after 24 hours. Instagram, on the other hand, is a social media site that can be used for a wider range of things.
|Purpose||Close friends and family||General-purpose|
|Features||Messaging, stories||News feed, stories, live videos|
|Design||Modern and minimalist||Traditional social media|
It has a more complicated interface and more options, like a news feed, stories, and live videos. The news feed shows you posts from the people you follow, and you can change it to show you the things you care about most. Instagram also has many tools for editing photos and videos and sharing them. Threads has a more modern and simple look in terms of how it’s put together.
A lot of empty space and simple fonts are used in the app. Instagram, on the other hand, has a more traditional social media design with a more colorful and fun look. In the end, your needs and preferences will determine which platform is best for you. Threads is a good choice if you want a simple and focused way to stay in touch with your close friends. Instagram is a better choice if you want a social media site that can be used for more things and has more features.
Threads vs Instagram: Privacy and Security
When it comes to security and privacy, Threads is more focused and private. It only lets you talk to people on your “Close Friends” list. This gives you more control over who sees your updates. Instagram has privacy settings, but its focus is on public sharing and being found. Because Threads focuses on a smaller, hand-picked audience, it is a better choice for people who want more privacy and tighter control over their content.
- Threads collects a lot of information about its users, such as their names, locations, how they use the site, and what they post. This information is used to improve the app and show more relevant ads.
- Threads users can choose whether their profiles are public or private. Everyone can see public profiles, but only people who are approved as followers can see private ones. Users can also decide who can see their messages and stories.
- Threads has some basic security features, like two-factor authentication and the ability to report abuse. It has been criticized, though, because it doesn’t encrypt messages from end to end. This means that Meta can still read users’ messages.
- Instagram collects the same kinds of information that Threads does, such as contact information, location, usage information, and content. This information is also used to improve the app and show more relevant ads.
- Users of Instagram can choose whether their profiles are public or private. Everyone can see public profiles, but only people who are approved as followers can see private ones. The user can also choose who can see their posts and stories.
- Instagram has more security features than Threads, like the ability to encrypt messages from end to end and scan for harmful content. But it has also been criticized for things like how it collects information from people who don’t have accounts.
Content Sharing and Discoverability
Threads is made so that close friends can share more personal and private content with each other. Posts in Threads can only be seen by the people on your list of close friends, which you can make and manage within the app. This makes it a good option for sharing things like daily updates, photos from your day, or thoughts and feelings that you might not want to share with a larger audience. On the other hand, Instagram is more open to the public. All of your Instagram followers can see your posts unless you make them private. Because of this, it’s a good option for sharing more polished and curated content, like photos of your travels, food, or outfits.
Threads finds content through a more algorithmic process. This means that the posts you see in your feed are based on how you have used the app in the past, like who you follow and what you have liked and said about. Unless you are actively using the app, this can make it hard to find new content. Instagram, on the other hand, finds new content in a more social way. This means that the posts you see in your feed depend on who you are following and who is following you. This makes it easier to find new content, even if you aren’t using the app right now.
|Content visibility||Only visible to your close friends list||Visible to all of your followers|
|Ease of discovering new content||Difficult||Easy|
|Best for||Sharing personal and intimate content with close friends||Sharing polished and curated content with a wider audience|
You can share things with your friends and followers on both Threads and Instagram. But they have different pros and cons when it comes to sharing content and making it easy to find. Threads is a good choice if you want to share more personal and intimate content with a small group of close friends. Instagram is a better choice if you want to share more polished and curated content with a larger audience.
Threads vs Instagram: Monetization and Ads
There are no ads on Threads right now. Meta has said that it has no plans to make money off of Threads right away because it is still in its early stages. But it’s possible that Threads could add ads in the future, like Instagram did when it first started.
Instagram has a number of ways to make money, such as:
- The most common kind of ad on Instagram is in-feed ads. They show up in the feed between pieces of user-made content.
- Story ads: These ads show up in the Instagram Stories section. They can be pictures or videos that don’t change, or they can be interactive.
- Sponsored posts are posts that are made by brands or influencers and paid for by advertisers.
- Branded content tools: These tools let brands and influencers make sponsored posts and keep track of them.
There is a good chance that Threads will add some way to make money, since this is how Meta can make money from the platform. But it’s also possible that Threads will make money in a different way than Instagram, like by focusing on subscriptions or donations. The different ways that Threads and Instagram make money and show ads show that they are aimed at different groups of people. Instagram is a more public platform than Threads, which is for close friends and family.
Because of this, it’s less likely that Threads will have ads that are annoying or in the way. Threads will be successful in the long run if it can find a good balance between making money and giving users a good experience. If Threads can do this, it could become a popular Instagram alternative for people who want a more personal and ad-free experience.
Threads: Pros and Cons
- Focuses on private communication and sharing within a close circle of friends.
- Provides a streamlined user interface for sharing photos, videos, and text messages with selected contacts.
- Allows users to share links and videos up to 5 minutes long.
- Provides tools for positive, productive conversations and gives users more control over their audience.
- Available only to users who have an Instagram account.
- Does not have the same features as Instagram, such as Stories, Reels, and IGTV.
- Not as widely used as Instagram, so it can be harder to find people to connect with.
Instagram: Pros and Cons
- Used more frequently than Threads, so it’s easier to find people to connect with.
- Offers a wider variety of features, such as Stories, Reels, and IGTV.
- Allows users to share photos and videos publicly or privately.
- Offers more customization options.
- Can be more overwhelming than threads because it has more features.
- Can be used for public self-promotion, which may not be for everyone.
- Can be addictive as it is designed to keep users engaged.
Threads vs Instagram: which one should you consider?
Threads is a platform for close friends and family that is based on text. It lets you share short posts, photos, and videos with a small group of people. Threads also lets you share your location in real time and send group messages. Instagram is a more visual platform for sharing photos and videos with a larger group of people. It also has options for IGTV, Stories, and Reels. Your needs and preferences will determine which platform is best for you. Threads is a good choice if you want to connect with close friends and family in a more private way. Instagram is better if you want to share your photos and videos with more people.
Threads is a text-based social sharing app where people can talk about themselves, talk about news and current events, and have conversations. Instagram lets people follow other people and share photos and videos, but it’s not as good for real-time conversations.
A team at Instagram makes Threads, which are made for text-based conversations. It aims to give people a free place to talk and share short bits of information, like Twitter. Instagram, on the other hand, is a more complete platform that goes beyond text-only posts.