The Windows update process is risky because it can cause problems, but when it works, it makes important improvements. How to Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2 could happen when you try to upgrade your current version of Windows.
It could happen during the downloading process or after a certain part has been downloaded. Most of the time, the code shows up when Windows Update automatically checks for updates. When you try to update Windows through WSUS or the update center, you need a stable internet connection. This means that a bad network could be to blame.
This could be why the system can’t connect to the server and ends Fix Windows Update Error 80072ee2. But the same fatal code can also happen when there is a lot of traffic on the network and the dedicated server is being asked to do too much.
Solved: Windows Update Error 80072ee2
Reset Windows Update Components
- Option 1: Click Windows Start, type “services” in the search bar and press Enter key.
- Option 2: Press Windows Logo key + R then type services.msc and then press Enter key.
- Look for “Windows Update” service. Right-click it and select stop. (Don’t close the window yet.)
- Browse to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\download
- Ctrl + A to highlight all files. Press right-click on the highlighted files. Then, select Delete. Wait until all files are deleted.
- Return to the services window. Look for “Windows Update” service. Right-click it, select start then restart your computer.
Delete bad registry
- Press Windows start then type “Regedit” in the search bar and press Enter key.
- Press Windows Logo key + R key, then type “Regedit” and press Enter key.
- In the registry editor, left click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE => SOFTWARE => Policies => Microsoft => Windows => WindowsUpdate folder.
- A WUServer and WIStatusServer keys will appear on the right side. Right-click both keys and delete.
- Then, restart your computer. Run Windows Updates and check for updates.
Check Internet Connection
- Turn off your computer and your modem router to refresh the connection.
- Access speedtest.net to check your internet speed. If the internet speed is far from normal, call your internet service provider.
- If you’re using Wi-Fi, make sure you are getting a strong signal. Use ethernet cable as an alternative.
- If you have any firewall, proxy server or anti-virus, temporarily disable it and do a Windows Update.
- Type Command Prompt (Admin) in the Start menu search bar, then right-click and select Run as administrator to open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Type the following command and press Enter: DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Wait for the command to complete. The process can take up to 20 minutes depending on your system health. The process seems stuck at certain times, but wait for it to complete.
- When the process completes, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
Mostly Windows Update Error Code 0x80072EE2 ERROR_INTERNET_TIMEOUT appears due to temporary Internet connection related issue or when Windows Update servers is busy. You may check your Internet connection, make sure that your computer is properly connected to internet while installing updates.
You can use the method to translate SCCM Error Codes To Error Messages. The Task Sequence Download File Failed error 80072ee2 translates to The operation time out. This means the client while downloading the content, can’t find the update in the DP’s.
The Windows Update failing error may be caused by basic problems, like not having enough storage space, or something deeper like outdated drives or missing Windows program files.