ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) – A man and two businesses in Alaska were sentenced to three years probation and fined $ 35,000 for violating the Clean Air Act involving asbestos work at a shopping mall more five years ago, a judge said.
The work was carried out at the Northern Lights Center in Anchorage, the former location of an REI store. Reports of potential asbestos exposure at the time shut the store down for a day in 2015, authorities said.
U.S. District Court Judge Joshua Kindred on Friday sentenced Tae Ryung Yoon, 64, to probation, fined him $ 35,000 and said he owed $ 30,000 in compensation for the medical follow-up of the four workers who claimed to have been exposed to asbestos, the Anchorage Daily News reported.
The owners of Yoo Jin Management Company Ltd. and Mush Inn Corp. were also convicted after agreeing to plead guilty to a charge of violating the Clean Air Act asbestos work practice standards. Both companies are owned by Chun Yoo, who is 80 years old and suffers from “serious health problems,” and his wife, lawyer Kevin Fitzgerald, said. The couple still own the center.
The case focuses on workers who said they were exposed to asbestos during poorly conducted renovations involving an old boiler room. Work was halted when two of the workers expressed concerns.
News Highlights Politics
- Headline: Anchorage Companies, man fined for air quality violation | Government and Politics
- Check all news and articles from the Politics news updates.