In this news, we discuss the McDonald’s and franchisees to make safety checks as ‘COVID fatigue’ grips.
NEW YORK (Reuters) – McDonald’s Corp MCD.N to inspect all of its U.S. restaurants to ensure safety standards are met as coronavirus cases rise again and ‘COVID fatigue’ sets in, internal memo says seen by Reuters on Friday.
“It is evident that we are entering what many predicted to be the most difficult time of the pandemic,” said the note from McDonald’s field director Charlie Strong and two US franchisees who lead internal relations with the company.
The so-called “security reaffirmation tours” were developed jointly with franchisees, according to the memo, and are expected to be concluded by Dec. 31. The company can make follow-up visits if necessary.
Company-owned stores will also be examined, McDonald’s said.
The pandemic has caused widespread changes in the way restaurants do business, with many relying more on drive-thru, delivery and delivery.
Sales in the United States at most restaurants plunged in April as coronavirus restrictions became widespread. Most major chains, including McDonald’s, have seen a steady recovery since then.
McDonald’s owners were also urged in the memo to ensure that the drive-thru contain amenities that allow customers to use credit cards without having to hand them over to cashiers, and that staff at the interior is separated by protective panels when social distancing is not possible.
In a separate blog post on Friday, McDonald’s U.S. President Joe Erlinger said the burger chain would soon convene industry roundtables to share key lessons learned.
“The success of McDonald’s – just like the success of Walmart, Apple, Starbucks, or any other US-based company – depends on our getting back to a version of normal as quickly as possible,” he wrote.
Reporting by Hilary Russ; Editing by Chris Reese, Sonya Hepinstall, Louise Heavens and Cynthia Osterman
Original © Thomson Reuters