Wednesday, February 8, 2023
- Advertisment -
HomeNewsGames NewsMicrosoft’s plea to halt a gamer lawsuit is denied by a judge

Microsoft’s plea to halt a gamer lawsuit is denied by a judge

A federal judge has refused to stay at Microsoft Corp.’s proposed $69 billion acquisition of video game developer Activision Blizzard Inc. Reuters U.S. District Court Judge Jacqueline Scott Corey ruled on Thursday, and shortly thereafter, the video game enthusiast behind the lawsuit asked the court to block Microsoft from continuing with the lawsuit, according to the court. rice field. According to Reuters, Microsoft has asked the lawsuit to stay pending a challenge by the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C.

Both the lawsuit and the Federal Trade Commission have made similar allegations. If Microsoft buys its own Activision Blizzard, the publisher of hit titles like Call of Duty, the merger could reduce consumer choice and cut competition by increasing prices. Corey said he expects to hear players’ requests for an injunction blocking the takeover in late March. A Microsoft spokesperson said the company is confident in its legal options and looks forward to a resolution to the case. “We remain confident in our case and path forward and are committed to closing the deal”.

A Microsoft spokesperson said on Thursday, shortly after the hearing. Microsoft, for its part, has said that allowing the gamers’ lawsuit to progress while the F.T.C. continues its inquiries could create “needless and duplicative litigation and the risk of inconsistent rulings”. “Staying this case while the F.T.C. litigation is ongoing would thus simplify the issues in this matter,” Microsoft attorneys told the court. However, attorneys Joseph Saveri and Joseph Alioto—both of whom are representing the plaintiffs—said that Microsoft appeared to be backtracking on its earlier position.

Since the company had earlier agreed to continue the private case even while the F.T.C.’s lawsuit remains pending. In its dispute with the Federal Trade Commission, Microsoft has maintained that a single acquisition cannot exert an outsized impact on the entire video games publishing industry. “The acquisition of a single game by the third-place console manufacturer cannot upend a highly competitive industry,” Microsoft attorneys told the F.T.C. “That is particularly so when the manufacturer has made clear it will not withhold the game”.

Nevertheless, consumer advocates have raised concerns that Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard could make series like “Call of Duty” exclusive to the Microsoft-owned Xbox platform. Microsoft has promised that if the merger is successful, it will not restrict access to Call of Duty and will devote additional resources to bringing the profitable franchise to third-party Nintendo consoles.

Source

RELATED ARTICLES

Latest

- Advertisment -