In this news, we discuss the Twitter unblocks Trump campaign account that shared NY Post story on Biden.
US President Donald Trump Twitter The campaign account was unblocked on Thursday after the social media company temporarily restricted it, claiming that a video of the account about Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden’s son violated its rules. The video posted by the @TeamTrump account referred to a New York Post article on Wednesday that contained alleged details of Hunter Biden’s business relationship with a Ukrainian energy company and said the former vice president had met with an adviser to the society.
The Trump campaign, with 2.2 million subscribers, said in a new tweet that it was “reposting the video Twitter doesn’t want you to watch. Twitter did not respond to a request for comment as to why the account was unblocked. Biden campaign spokesman Andrew Bates said in a statement that Republican-led Senate committees had previously concluded that Joe Biden had not done any wrongdoing related to Ukraine.
Twitter said earlier that the video broke its rules against posting private information, adding that the account may need to delete the post in order to continue tweeting. “This is all going to end in a big lawsuit and there are things that can happen that are very serious that I would rather not see happen, but it’s probably going to have to,” said Trump, when asked about the move by Twitter.
Twitter said on Wednesday that the Post’s article violated its “pirated material” policy, which prohibits the distribution of pirated content containing private information or trade secrets, or puts people at risk of physical harm. Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey tweeted Wednesday that “our communication around our actions on the @nypost article was not great. And block URL sharing via tweet or DM without any context as to why we are blocking: unacceptable. ” Facebook Inc and Twitter took proactive steps Wednesday to restrict the Post’s article from being distributed within hours of its publication.
Twitter had placed similar restrictions on the account of White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany on Wednesday after sharing the Post’s story. Neither the @nypost nor @kayleighmcenany accounts have tweeted in nearly a day, suggesting they are still blocked. Other Twitter, users, including a reporter, said their accounts were suspended because they posted a link to the New York Post article. The accounts were unblocked after deleting the offending tweets.
SEND SUB-POINTS after Twitter imposed the restrictions, the US Senate Judiciary Committee requested a summons to Dorsey.
Committee Chairman Lindsey Graham and Republican Senators Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley said the committee will vote on sending the summons on Tuesday, October 20 and plans to have Dorsey before the committee by October 23. Senator Hawley also called for a summons. at Facebook.
“We’re finally going to have long overdue accounting,” Graham said. “To me, that crystallizes the problem better than anything I could think of.” CEOs of Twitter, Facebook and Alphabet Inc’s Google are also set to appear before the Senate Commerce Committee later this month at a hearing to discuss Section 230 – a valuable legal immunity enjoyed by internet companies, which gives tech companies a protection against liability for content posted by users.
Calls for Section 230 reform and criminalization of tech companies have intensified, but Congress is unlikely to pass the law this year.
- Biden’s campaign spokesman Andrew Bates said in a statement that Republican-led Senate committees had previously concluded that Joe Biden had not done any wrongdoing related to Ukraine. Twitter said earlier that the video broke its rules against posting private information, adding that the account may need to delete the post in order to continue tweeting.
- Twitter unblocks the Trump campaign account that shared the NY Post story on Biden