In 2009, a VoIP wiretap known as Trojan.Peskyspy was discovered which could record Skype conversations and send them to the attacker. The wiretap extracts the IP voice stream from Windows sound functions before encryption, and saves the exchange as an MP3 file.
What is Trojan. Peskyspy?
Trojan. Peskyspy is a malicious computer program that acts as a wiretap for voice over IP (VoIP) chats. It was first uncovered in 2009 and can record Skype calls by extracting the IP voice stream before it is encrypted. The exchange is then recorded as an MP3 file and sent to the attacker.
How does Trojan. Peskyspy work?
To record a Skype call, Trojan. Peskyspy makes calls to the sound functions in Windows. By doing so, it can intercept the IP voice stream before it is encrypted. The Trojan then records the conversation and saves it as an MP3 file on the victim’s computer. Finally, it sends the file to the attacker, who can listen to the conversation later.
How does Trojan. Peskyspy infect computers?
Trojan. Peskyspy can infect computers through various ways, such as downloading it from a malicious website, opening a spam email attachment, or clicking on a link in a phishing email. It can also be bundled with other software, such as fake antivirus or system optimizers, and installed unknowingly by the victim.
How can you protect yourself from Trojan. Peskyspy?
There are several ways to protect yourself from Trojan. Peskyspy:
1. Keep your antivirus software up to date and run frequent scans.
2. Be cautious when opening email attachments or clicking on links from unknown sources.
3. Avoid downloading software from untrusted websites.
4. Install a firewall to prevent unauthorized access to your computer.
5. Use strong passwords and enable two-factor authentication on your accounts.
6. Keep your operating system and software updated with the latest security patches.
7. Consider using a VPN to encrypt your internet traffic and protect your privacy.
In Overall, Trojan. Peskyspy is a dangerous Trojan that can intercept and record VoIP calls. It infects computers through various ways, and protecting yourself requires a combination of security measures, such as keeping your software updated, using strong passwords, and being cautious online. By taking these steps, you can reduce the risk of falling victim to Trojan. Peskyspy and other malicious programs.